Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: K7S5A Problems. Lookee here! Woooo!

I have the ECS K7S5A too. My first one was DOA from the computer store. Luckily they have a great customer service.

I like this board otherwise - except the bad chemical smell that eminates as soon as the board gets a little warm.

I haven't gotten the built in NIC to wake-on-lan though. Anyone been able to do that?

Audio, K7S5A

Athon - I'm actually at the point of "installing" audio by hand. I'm having no success! How did you do it? Can someone please help?

First, Windows detected the device, then I installed the drivers from the "Mainboard" CD that came with the board.

result: no volume control, no selected Audio device under Multimedia (and the SiS 7012 Audio Driver didn't appear as a choice)

I then removed the device from Device Manager(System Prop.), rebooted, chose not to install, then ran the "setup.exe" from the CD, which then proceeded to 95% and would not progress. System wasn't frozen, but I quit and tried to rebooted(needing to close a program called "Detect" in the meantime).

After rebooting, Windows seemed to be ok (driver in place under Device Manager) but I still had the same result so I went online to www.sis.com to download the drivers. When I ran the version of setup.exe I got from the web, I got the same result.

Finally, I removed the driver from System Properties, rebooted, and the Windows Drivers Database kicked in and installed the driver without even a sideways glance.

(time passes)

I then found under Add/Remove Programs the SiS Audio drivers...when I removed these, the setup ran perfectly(no "Detect" which I assume is short for detect new hardware?), yet I still am unable to get sound.

Under Multimedia, the SiS 7012 Audio Driver appears under Devices/Audio Devices, yet I'm still unable to select!!

help, please!!!!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gedin; 09-21-2001 at 03:26 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Richard, if the board doesn't fire up and keeps resetting, then the primary suspect is the power supply unit.

regards, Peter

My best geuss would be re-start everything.

1) Clear your BIOS (CMOS Jumper / JP4).
    2) Set your BIOS, but do not enable sound, game or midi port.
    3) Boot up Windows and reinstall any SiS735 Mainbaord drivers.
    4) Check Device Manager under System (Control Panel) to see if you have all your devices installed.
    5) Remove any leftover devices or any devices in trouble.
    6) Remove any leftover device drivers.
    7) Reboot system.
    8) Check to see if everything is clean. Download the new SiS audio from the ECSUSA (http://www.ecsusa.com) website.
    9) Extract them to an easily found folder.
    10) Reboot, go into BIOS and enable on board sound, midi and gameport. Boot into Windows.
    11) Windows should now detect the new devices, when it looks for drivers, point to the folder with the extracted drivers.

I do not have the on-board sound running on my system, but I do have the on-board LAN up and running.

Good luck!

Thanks, Radio1,

The plan you gave me went well until step 11. I even(meaning, in addition to clearing Dev. Mgr.) removed the stuff from Add/Remove Programs(step 6), but somehow, after I re-enabled the stuff on BIOS, Windows booted up without asking me a thing. I went straight to Device Manager and I saw everything loaded, the MIDI, the Audio, etc.

And then it hit me.

I don't have time for this! I'm going out and buying a sound card; screw the onboard sound. I don't think anything short of re-installing Win98se will fix this problem.

Thanks for the help, anyway!

My sound driver manual install only worked well following an uninstall using the uniinstall executable that was placed in the OS specific folder that was unzipped after the download from ECS site. Following that unininstall; you can run setup and at least for me; everything worked (WinMe)

Re: Audio, K7S5A

Originally posted by Gedin
    Athon - I'm actually at the point of "installing" audio by hand. I'm having no success! How did you do it? Can someone please help?

First, Windows detected the device, then I installed the drivers from the "Mainboard" CD that came with the board.

result: no volume control, no selected Audio device under Multimedia (and the SiS 7012 Audio Driver didn't appear as a choice)

I then removed the device from Device Manager(System Prop.), rebooted, chose not to install, then ran the "setup.exe" from the CD, which then proceeded to 95% and would not progress. System wasn't frozen, but I quit and tried to rebooted(needing to close a program called "Detect" in the meantime).

After rebooting, Windows seemed to be ok (driver in place under Device Manager) but I still had the same result so I went online to www.sis.com to download the drivers. When I ran the version of setup.exe I got from the web, I got the same result.

Finally, I removed the driver from System Properties, rebooted, and the Windows Drivers Database kicked in and installed the driver without even a sideways glance.

(time passes)

I then found under Add/Remove Programs the SiS Audio drivers...when I removed these, the setup ran perfectly(no "Detect" which I assume is short for detect new hardware?), yet I still am unable to get sound.

Under Multimedia, the SiS 7012 Audio Driver appears under Devices/Audio Devices, yet I'm still unable to select!!

help, please!!!!

Thanks.

I am running win 98se.

Go to control panel add/remove hardware and remove the sis audio driver. Then check the device manager (System Prop) and delete the audio driver if it still resides there. Reboot the computer and when windows report new hardware load the driver from the motherboard CD. browse to the sis folder on the CD and locate the driver for 98 se. It should work. Now if you are running windows 98 original version you need to do the same but look for the win 95 driver for win 98 original version.

Good Luck

K7S5A - almost completely dead!

Hi. I've just built my K7S5A + Athlon 1400 266FSB + 256Mb PC2100 machine. With this set-up there is no life whatsoever - no vga output, no beeps - seemingly nothing but the cpu fan working! Having triple-checked, I am absolutely sure that the CPU, memory and video card are all seated properly.

The mobo WILL boot if I install my Duron 750 and some PC100 from my old machine on it, so it is not totally dead. The Athlon processor will also work in my old machine (K7VZA mobo) so that seems to be OK.

The only untested component is the PC2100, but from other posts it sounds like there may be more sinister and likely reasons for the problem than a dodgy memory stick. Could the bios for some reason allow the Duron 750 to work, but not the Athlon 1400 at 266 FSB speed?

Any possible explanations / suggested courses of action would be really appreciated. At the moment I'm actually jealous of the people having problems with audio drivers - if only I could get that far!

Pete

Athon - I assume you mean "Add/Remove Programs"...but I've done that and it still doesn't work (previous post).

Something weird is going on. I bought a SB Live! Value now and installed the drivers, but again Multimedia refuses to select the SB Audio driver for playback/recording(this after disabling in CMOS and removing the device and drivers from win98se). For all intents and purposes(in Dev Mgr, and in Multimedia Devices), the drivers are installed; Multimedia Audio just refuses to select it!

So it's some gremlin hiding in windows.

Thanks all for the suggestions. This is really frustrating now and I'm about to reinstall win.

Please let me know if you have any more suggestions....they are all welcome.

Gedin-

After you hit step 11 and Windows had placed all the new audio devices in the system, did you install the SiS audio drivers..?!

But, I suppose since you picked up another sound card, that question is moot. I do think you will have to reinstall Windows.

I hope everything goes well, and that it's not an issue with your sound card. I have a Philips Acoustic Edge and had no problems with installing or enabling it on this board.

Keep us updated!

Ultimate Member
    Thanks Peter, I also suspected a PS problem and ordered an Athlon Approved Power Supply a couple of days ago.

Just to be safe, I also ordered some Crucial RAM..

DrVette

I have this board and have NO PROBLEMS retated to the board. I'm very happy with the motherboard and performance. If any of my friends wanted me to build them a computer, I'd use the same board I have.
    Buy A Radiohead CD

radio1, athon
    Thanks for all the help.

I finally found something strange which may indicate a problem.

Today, I removed the SiS drivers, rebooted to BIOS, disabled the on board sound, finished booting, found everything ok, then put the SB Live! back into the computer.
    When I booted windows up, it *automatically* reinstalled the drivers for the SB Live!...it installed them presumably from the Driver Information Database. (I removed drvdata.bin, drvidx.bin, and deleted the devices in Safe mode but somehow windows was still able to retain the database.)

Ok.....here's the strange part:

I still had no volume control and could not select a playback device, but when I checked Control Panel/Multimedia/Devices, it listed

"Avance AV97 Audio" under Audio
    and
    "Avance AV97 MIDI" under MIDI.
    (these used to be SiS 7012, but the microsoft website "recommended" an update which I downloaded)

When I tried to remove these, I received the response (to the effect):

"If you would like to remove this device, go to Device Manager and then remove the device named 'Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)'."

Whoa! This is just too weird...at least now I know there something messed up in Windows(98se); whether or not fixing this will fix the whole sound problem remains to be seen.

sleep: great for you, but what would you do in my situation?
    Last edited by Gedin; 09-25-2001 at 02:00 PM.

Ow-wie!

I'd probably wipe my C: drive and reinstall Windows. It's a sledgehammer effect, but it's the only real way you'll know if you have a hardware sys problem, versus some Windows-type glitch.

If you have not partitioned a separate drive just for Windows; take this opportunity to do so. That way, if you ever need to re-install you won't have to lose other data or spend the time backing up all the rest of your drive.

The only other thing I could think of, is maybe, reinstalling DirectX 8. It's a long shot; and if it worked, well, then you would not have to do what I think your going to have to do!

Anyways, good luck!