Thread: Setting up a Raid array

Setting up a Raid array

I want to get another drive to mirror my hard drive on my KT7-raid. However, as I read the manual it seems that if I set up the raid and have one drive mirroring the other, then if I remove one drive, I loose all my data. Is this right?. i need to do this as I have irredemibly bad sectors on my Deskstar and IBM take three weeks to repair it.

No you wont lose any data. That the idea of mirroring. So that if one of the drives fails everything keeps going.

I dont have a KT7 raid, but I beleive that it is talking about raid 0 when it says that you will lose data if one drive is removed. The raid that you are talking about is raid 1.

Hope that helps

That sounds more logical. My drive is faulty, so I need to get another and install it as a mirror - raid 1. Having done that I need to remove the original drive and send it off, and would expect that the new one functions as an ordinary hard drive. Then to get the new drive functioning as an boot drive, the manual seems to be saying that I have to delete the raid. The abit site says " Either creating or deleting a RAID array causes the data on a hard drive first to be removed and later rebuilt. Please be sure to make a backup of your data before you create, delete, or alter a RAID array." This frightened me silly at the thought of loosing everything.! At present I am waiting to get a reliable driver for my back up tape and do not want to rely on this. What do you think about all this?

Yes you have to bakup everything first. Because when you creat an array all data is destroyed.

Ultimate Member
    I think you will lose your data if you set up that after raid. I think it would only work if it was set up at same time. Maybe that norten transfer software is what you need.

Thanks for taht. It does look as though raid 1 is only of use if you do it before you start ...ie do the two together from blank. thanks for your help

Am I missing something, or could you just clone the drive with something like Ghost or Drive Image? Based on your need, that seems like a simpler solution. I've been using Drive Image (4.0) repeatedly of late and it works just fine.

Noyou're not!I thought that I could make sure I did not get caught out again with a bad drive, and since I have raid on the mobo it seemed a good idea! Having taken all the advice I have decided to get the cheapest hard drive I can and ghost and do just what you suggest. It was the thought of wading thru another piece of software that was tiring, but there is really no choice.