Thread: Upgrading from ASUS P2-99 to P3V4X

Upgrading from ASUS P2-99 to P3V4X

I need some help. Asus support is non-existent.
    There is a lot of controversy about P3V4X.
    I have a P2-99 (Intel ZX chipset) with Pentium III 550 MHz. I run Windows 98 SE, 256 MB RAM, a Diamond Viper II Z 200AGP card, 32 MB.
    I want to upgrade my motherboard and consider P3V4X.
    But I can't not afford to format my HD and do a new install of Windows
    98 SE and all the programs I have. I use the computer to work and time is precious. I just want to swap motherboards.
    Now, moving from P2-99 to P3V4X scares me. One has Intel chipset and the other VIA chipset. In the Diamond site I read conflicts with VIA. In HP site I read conflicts with CD Writer 9310i and Easy CD Creator from
    Adaptec, which I also have.
    I read many, many conflicting opinions about P3V4X, mainly because of VIA chipset.
    Has anyone had experience with such move (maybe form BX chipset to VIA)?
    What can I expect in terms of problems?
    What should I do before upgrading? Maybe uninstall in Control Panel |
    Device Manager all mentions to Intel controllers before changing
    motherboards?

I would really appreciate some guidance.
    Thanks a lot.

Ultimate Member
    So WTF are you considering ASUS again if they give you bad (or no) support?!?

Apart from that, VIA chipset mainboards are just fine - but load and install all the latest drivers for your add-on cards before doing the switch.

Windows may or may not survive the plug&play-fest that follows a mainboard change. 98SE does considerably better than older releases, so I'd give it a try.

Backup your data.

Regards, Peter

I was just wondering, if you don't mind me asking, why you were considering changing the motherboard? If you don't have a new CPU, stay with the P2-99. I have this motherboard and it works perfectly. What are the advantages of going to the P3V4X? Is it the AGP 4x support, and if it is and you are using this PC for work, then you are creating a lot of heartache for little reward. (I think).

rlsuth,
    I start to think you are right... Too much heartache, I agree, but my point is I ran out of PCI slots and and I'd like Ultra ATA 66 from the MB. My HDs are ATA 66 and P2-99 is ATA 33. A bottleneck, here. Also, the maximum the P2-99 can go is PIII 550 MHz. Anyway, one PCI slot at least I can get back: removing a SCSI card controlling my scanner and operate the scanner as USB (HP 6250C). Thanks. Thanks also to Peter.
    Regards, Alexandre

P2-99 Your better off with it.. : )

Use the USB more... and upgrade your CPU.
    You'll never really need the drive speed to be any faster.

Check this out for CPU upgrade ability.
    http://www.sysopt.com/cgi-bin/overc/...ll.cgi?r=10730

and if you ever do decide to change mobo's e-mail me and I'll buy your P2-99..... : ) justinen@revelstoke.net

I went from a BH6 to a P3V4X in Win Me (I think it was) and had no real problems. I just had to delete all motherboard-related items in the device manager and let it all redetect.