Thread: 17"-19"? worth the deal?

Question 17"-19"? worth the deal?

As obvious, I'm planning to buy a new moniter. I have a few questions to ask..
    Please answer, it's important for me..

1)Is it worth to go from a 17" to 19"?
    -if no, skip Q2. Thank you.
    -if yes, read and answer Q2 please.
    2)Is the sony CPD-G400 that much more worth then the Viewsonic G790 other then the additional video resolution? do you guys see a very significant difference between the 0.25-6mm dot-pitch compared to G400's 0.24mm?

A bit of introduction to myself.
    I'm into the graphics editing/design market, and am currently looking for a good moniter worth for this application.

THANKS!

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Monitor size is really a matter of taste and budget. For your usage I would think that "the bigger the better", but I would go for quality before size.

Now, as to which brand & model? Tough call. I'm picky about my display since I use it primarily for text work. Need crisp text @ 1024x768 on a 17". Here's what I did last time I was monitor shopping, and I'd recomend it.
    Remember, no matter what you get, or how good it looks on display, it WILL look different on your system & under your lighting. So the only true test is to use one for a few days.

Shop local, from a store with a good selection, and a decent return policy. Talk to someone in authority before you buy, & let them know that you'll return it if not 100% happy, but will purchase another if that happens.
    Last time around I had several before keeping this Sony 200ES (17")

On last thing about the pitch - Sony uses stripe-pitch rather than dot-pitch figures. I studied up on that a bit while shopping. A .25 STRIPE equals approx. a .27 DOT pitch.
    So don't let the figures overly influence you. (But I'm happy with my Sony)

Ed

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

I prefer the 19" over 17". i paid $250 new for my 19" after rebate, and i love it, even though it is made by piXie, a no name brand. I have had 2 piXie monitors and both have run like champs, one has been going for 5 years(!).

Arrow

From 17" to 19"? I say YES. Going from a 15" to a 17" was nice (very nice actually), but going from the 17" to a 19" was just outstanding! I never would've guessed that a mere 2 more inches could be so delightful.

For anyone into graphic imaging (I dabble), I'd say a 19" monitor is a minimum requirement.

And if you play any first-person shoot-em up type games (Q3, UT, etc.) then the 19"er will really bring them to life. Will add a whole new level of enjoyment you get from the games (assuming you're not prone to motion sickness).

Sorry, I can't help too much with specific monitors, but I just wanted to let ya know how strongly I feel about jumping up to a 19" screen. Be sure to let us know when you do finally get it.