Thread: Is there a program around that can do this....?

Lightbulb Is there a program around that can do this....?

Is there away I can assign the the task of opening a program (IE) to the middle mouse button (wheel button)???

I've searched around for shareware/freeware but all that I've found only seam to assign the double click funtion to the middle button.

I also think it would be VERY cool to have the mouse wheel act as an Alt + Tab function. It's a good idea so I'm sure it must be around, I just can't find it.

I have a simple logitect btw.

Lightbulb

I believe that there are programs for so called "hot keys". Before you laugh, my GATEWAY... (which I paid way too much for) has a programs that can open up programs through these hot keys. I believe the program was the hot spot. Sorry I can't help out more.

[This message has been edited by Ptrper (edited 04-11-2000).]

Arrow

The Logitech drivers I have allow for dozens of choices to be assigned to the middle (wheel) button. And one of them is "Explore my computer" which open Explorer, which is also IE.

So there ya go. No need for extra software. Don't even need to run any logitech software, the it's all in the drivers.

Oh yeah, version:

Logitech MouseWare Control Center (devices tab of mouse properties)
    Control Center version: 9.00.87
    Mouse Driver version: 9.00

copyright 1987-2000 Logitech Inc.

Lightbulb

I actully downloaded a program called hot keyboard. With that I assigned a function key (f6, why? it's the first one I saw) to open IE. Then I used Logitech mouseware 9 to assign the middle mouse button to act as f6. I'm not really happy with though.

Mouseware 9 has presets for the middle mouse button to do a lot of stuff, but not open IE.

edit

Yeah it does open windows explorer and that works, but then I have to click the home page button. Ha, that sounds silly, but still...

[This message has been edited by seti (edited 04-11-2000).]

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

hahahaha!!! gateway!!! hahahaha, don't laugh, but i HAD a COMPAQ............ok ok, gosh, don't laugh..

Thumbs up

Or use this little cool utility to assign your middle button (or any button/key/key-combo/mouse-click/window-title/etc.) to anything you want it to do...oh like:

open IE, goto your web based email service, log you in, and show you new mail. Just as a simple example.

Thumbs up

seti, YES, it does too. Make the button "Explore My Computer". That Explorer window it opens is also Internet Explorer. Don't believe me? Make sure the address bar is showing, and then just type in www.sysopt.com and see what happens.

Lightbulb

OuTpaTienT's solution sounds very good to me. But if for some reason it doesn't work for you, there's a cheap shareware utility Middle Mouse Button which does what you want. Also, you can always use general automation utilities like
    Macro Express (thanks to OuTpaTienT once more), but for such a simple task it would probably be an overkill.

Edited: you guys surely type fast - 4 replies while I was typing mine. Well, if you don't like Mousewhare, check out the above utility or Macro Express.

[This message has been edited by happyhamster (edited 04-11-2000).]

Arrow

HH, agreed that Macro Express would be overkill for just this task. But, it you're a system-tweaker like me (and it seems most of us are) then you'll find a million other uses for Macro Express. I am.

Lightbulb

Outpatient, I know windows explorer is internet explorer. What I ment is that when you open IE (one double click) it goes directly to your start page. When you open windows explorer (one MMouse button click)...you then have to go to your start page manually. Ha, like I said, it's a silly nag, but still.

I checked out Macro Express...that could be a very usefull program, but is a bit overkill just for this.

I just dl'd middle louse button....