Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What motherboard are you using???

Ultimate Member
    all around................................

Lightbulb What motherboard are you using???

I am using an abit bf-6,before that an asus p5-a.
    They were both great.

Lightbulb

asus p3b-f
    love it

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Asus P5A-B getting ready to change to a P5A need the extra PCI slots

Arrow

FIC va503+ - it's a jumper hell, but otherwise good, stable, & fast.

Me too....FIC VA503+. Sweet board, but you gotta be careful with all those jumpers. Ditto, stable & fast. Could'nt get the 112 & 124 FSB's working with any of my AMD chips tho'.

-M1pilot

Lightbulb

That's odd M1. Between mine, couple I've built for other people, and a friends system, I've tinkered with 4 or 5 va503+ motherboards and I've found them all to run stable at the 112mhz setting. Oddly enough, the oldest of them, a version 1.1a seemed to be the most stable of them all.

I also found that NONE of them would run (or even boot) at 124 (the 1.1a doesn't have 124 as an option).

I've got two of them (both 1.2a's) and I've had three or four k6-2's on them and currently they both have K6-3/450's installed. I've never been able to go over 100 FSB with any of them, although a couple of the K6-2's clocked extremely well using the internal multipliers. The K6-3's won't take a 5x multiplier (won't even post). Got good cooling, tried the voltage tricks, name it....oh well, they perform nicely stock.

-M1pilot

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Gigabyte BX2000... love it... except for the GeForce story....

Stan

Lightbulb

ABIT BP6

Lightbulb

Abit BF6 w/ Celly 366@550. Before that I had a Via FC-503+ w/AMD K6-2 400@448.

Lightbulb

SY-6BA+III, and before that I used an BH6 on this system. Had a second computer for about a month powered by the SY-6VBA 133, but its been sold to a friend. Next planned board is a Tyan Trinity 400 w/ Coppermine or Some Via KX133 board with athlon.

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Abit bh6 rev 1.
    Had zero problems with it, overclocked a 300a to 450. Can still run the best games out there and havent found an app that can challenge it yet. I wont upgrade until neccessary, seems like this mb will still run Win 2000 even when it comes out in Feb.

Lightbulb

In the past month, have gone through 2 boards, then got the Asus P5A I've got now - and am going to use in my primary computer. The others: an Epox MVP3G2 and then a Gigabyte GA-5AX.
    The Epox board had inferior IDE performance, and it also didn't offer very good video performance. All chipset drivers were installed, yet the IDE burst transfer rate was about 7MB/sec less than an ALi board. The 3D fps was about 20 where it should have been 40. So, I got a different board - the Gigabyte board.
    That board had a problem: my TNT2 board froze the system after about an hour of use. It has a fan/heatsink combo on it that I got from 3dfxcool.com. From the many posts on Gigabyte's newsgroup, it seems that the motherboard can't supply enough voltage for TNT2 and GeForce video cards. And it's overclocking options are limited - no control over the I/O voltage.
    The Asus P5A board is quick, stable, and doesn't give the constant lockups. And the BIOS has options galore - and manual IRQ allocation that actually works.

I am using the mobo that is in the system I built at the end of last year. I admit my extent of knowledge of motherboard performance is limited to this one mainboard. I chose the Abit BX6 ver.2 and I have been quite pleased. I don't know if I would have been so fortunate in getting everything to function if it weren't for the SoftMenu II jumperless design! I am just now looking to try my first attempt at running up the FSB settings. I have an Intel PIII 450 processor, 256Mb of PC100, Viper V770 Ultra TNT2, Creative SoundBlaster Live Value, 27.3Gb WD "Expert" Ultra66 HDD@7200rpm, Ricoh M7040 4/2/20 CD-RW. This mobo doesn't support UDMA 66 so I just received a Abit "HotRod66" controller card that gives me two additional IDE that support UDMA66 devices. I hope to have this working this weekend!

[This message has been edited by AlwaysUp (edited 02-02-2000).]

Lightbulb

I'm using the Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 motherboard.

Very satisfied up to now.

Look here for more specs:
    http://siglr.com/benchmark

Guy