Thread: AMD Overclock messed up SB PCI 128!!

Hybrid View

Lightbulb AMD Overclock messed up SB PCI 128!!

I had OC'ed my AMD K6-2 500 to 550 (5.5x * 100MHz) on my Epox MVP3C-M mobo. And the computer seemed to work fine, I had it running SETI@Home for 4 or 5 hours and then I turned the puter off. I moved my Sound card from one PCI slot to another and moved my modem from one ISA slot to another. The next day, I turned on the puter and after being at the Win98SE splash screen 4 a few sec. The blue screen of death appeared stating that the SB PCI 128 was using the wrong interrupts and would be disabled (or something like that). I went into Windows, under Device Manager and saw this: "!" beside the Sound card.

So I deleted all of the device drivers, everything installed with Sound Card, and then restarted, and reinstalled all of the drivers. When prompted I restarted (again), and then the same BSOD appeared saying the same thing. I have no SOUND.

Any HELP is appreciated!!

-jd-

Lightbulb

Yikes...hope your sound card isn't fried! Try moving the cards back to the original position. If that doesn't work, delete the modem and sound card out of device manager, take out your modem and sound card and then reinstall them one at a time with the sound card first. Let Windows boot up and find the sound card..then do the modem. Good luck!

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Try moving only the modem back first???

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Check the bios to see if "PnP OS?" is still enabled, also look at the "PnP/PCI Configuration" menu & check the settings

Lightbulb

Here's what the BSof Death has to say: "The SBPCI interrupt has been routed incorrectly by the system. AudioPCI inactive. Use Automatic Settings in the Device Manager."

The IRQ for the sound card is 11, plus I checked the properties of the sound card in Device Manager and saw that there were no conflicts in the Resource tab.

Hope this helps, I don't want to lose yet another Sound Card!!!! can't afford it

-jd-

Middle Age Member

Arrow

You dont have any PCI card in the slot next to the AGP do you? That will cause an IRQ conflict.

Remove the cards, remove all vestiges of them from the device manager IN SAFE MODE; install one device at a time rebooting each time.

If your sound card is fried it was probably due to ESD.

Lightbulb

Just wondering, but that error message makes me wonder: do you have Windows set to use automatic addressing/etc.?

CMonster: Never heard of having trouble using PCI next to AGP - the modem I'm on right now is right next my AGP slot... What kind of problems does this cause? Is it only certain devices?

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

the pci slot next to the agp slot, and the agp slot are usually on the same irq, and for some reason in many systems if you have cards in both of em you tend to have a lot of problems. basically the first pci slot of the agp slot should be used for your video card.

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

and jadison, try removing all cards except the video card, and then add the cards one at time to let windows detect each one and get it set up...

Lightbulb

Morpheus...what is "automatic addressing", and what would it have to do with this problem?

CMonster: I don't have the SB PCI 128 next to my AGP slot, never did, so that rules out that.
    I'll try removing all but the vid. card and then troubleshoot from there, I no longer have my K62-500 OC'ed to 550 so my system is also as stable as can be.

-jd-

Lightbulb

If i dont load the Via IRQ utiity that came w/my M/B, I get exactly the same message. Laoding the utility fixes it every time.

Middle Age Member

Arrow

edit - remove superfluous information

[This message has been edited by CMonster (edited 04-08-2000).]

Unhappy

Andy, your exactly right. I was going to post that untill I read you already did

The MVP3 chipset requires the Via IRQ driver be installed. If not windows will incorrectly route the SB PCI 128 and other PCI devices to either used IRQ's or not route at all. I have a Ensoniq Audio PCI which is the same things sans drivers and it would give me the same error as andy and yourself. Also Go into device manager and see what IRQ's are available and manually set it if need be. If you dont have the driver, download the 4 in 1 driver on via/Cyrix's website. Be careful though, as cyrix and via's websites were hacked, and cyrix.com hasnt been changed back yet. Try a mirror site for now.

XT