Thread: Monitor has bands

Angry Monitor has bands

I have recently built my first system. I bought a HP A4330D monitor (factory refurbished) at a computer show. It seemed to be fine for a couple of days, then as i adjusted brightness, I noticed bands arched in each of the corners. If I turn the brightness up, I don't notice them as much. Also, everything on the screen has ghosts. Can anyone help me figure out what I can do to fix it, or is it trashed. When I adjust the Pin./Trap settings on the monitor, the wavy lines move, but don't disappear.
    My configuration is:
    AMD K6-2 500MHz
    ATI Expert 2000 32Mb AGP
    Epox MVP3G5 mainboard
    Maxtor HD
    etc...

If anyone can help me, I would be more than grateful.

Former volunteer

Lightbulb

If the waves move when you change the monitor settings then it could be your driver on your video card. Make sure you have the most recent one. I started having problems with one of my 17" monitors. it seemed like the sides of the display were bending back into the screen. Two weeks later it died. I just got he warranty replacement today. i hope that's not it for you.
    Dave

Unhappy

The "Local Computer Show" Gremlin might of got ya, But i sincerely hope Not. Try the above ideas and try fine tuning the controls. If this doesnt work try finding the vendor and getting a replacement, if they are fly by night or you do manage to contact them but they wont help contact your local Better Business Bureau and file a complaint with your state attorney general.

[This message has been edited by XT (edited 04-04-2000).]

did you go to the HP web site and pull in the latest *.inf file??

you have a windows subdirectory actually called INF - the HP site will have directions on how to add the inf updates -

As a monitor doesn't actually have a driver ( drivers are for internal components within the CPU case - example - PCI cards and internal modems ) you'll want to do two things - update the driver you have installed for your video card and load and update your inf file.

the inf file is a flat text file which has hardware descriptions within it. It allows you to add specific monitor types to the menu of all monitors available when you set up your video settings. with an inf file update, you should be able to choose your specific monitor from the list. Additionally, by being able to specifically select your monitor, behind the scenes within your computer, the inf file tells your video card what resolutions and what refresh rates your monitor is capable of handling.

Another thing you might try is to "de-gauss" your monitor. Your monitor builds up electro-magnetism which needs to be cleared from time to time - under the monitor on=screen functions, or possibly as a button at the bottom of the unit, there will be a de-gauss button. try that.

That might help you out -

If not, I'd have the opinion your monitor failed and the gun within the tube isn't sitting in it's mounting correctly, I.E. - the tube is failing

Talking

Thanks all. I could never figure it out, but it seemed to me that it was inside the monitor itself. When I would move the monitor, the bands would also move. I took it back to the guys i bought it from, and they exchanged it for me. Thank you everyone for you help.