Thread: Pentium 4 or Athlon

Pentium 4 or Athlon

Just a question without looking at price what is better a Pentium 4 1.7Ghz or a Athlon 1.4Ghz ?

Ultimate Member
    athlon is cheaper and in many cases faster unless you are using applications that have large sustained data transfers, such as mpeg encoding.

Athlon hands down.

Benchmarks say that the 1.4Ghz Athlon is faster than the 1.7Ghz P4. P4 1.8k and the Athlon 1.4k are tied or something.

There is no simple answer, the massive memory bandwidth of the P4 give it an advantage in Quake3, multi-tasking and other memory intensive applications. The athlons still has a superior floating point unit which give it an edge in 3D graphics most of the time and it easily keeps up the pace in most apps at a much lower price tag. If you wanna knows what's best for you give what the cpu's going to do, be as specific as possible and we'll tell you what's faster.

P4 vs. T-Bird? Definetly a T-Bird!

I use my computer for games 30% of the time and surfing 40%, Video editing 20% and 10% for my universtiy work.

I was thinking what about future use as more P4 programs come on the market it might start showing its real power and leave the Athlon behind, i would hate in a year to wake up that my Athlon starts proforming like **** because of P4 optimized programs not running on the T-Bird core.

P4 has superb quality memory, that can make a dfference(I dont believe speed will really differ with tha Athlon.)

AMD... need I say more?

P4 optimized apps? It didn't happen when intel brought out the MMX instructions, it barely happned for SSE. You think people will start now? I don't.

Paul

Unless you have a specific need for massive memory bandwidth (i.e. non-linear video editing or real-time multimedia creation), then I suggest the Athlon.

BTW, I would opt for an AthlonMP personally, but that's my take on the situation. Costs are dropping fast, plus the addition of a SSE-compatible instruction set offers more flexiblity.

Robert Richmond