Thread: Why are the temperatures so high?!?

Why are the temperatures so high?!?

I have a 1.2Ghz Axia T-bird not o/c'ed. I am using ASUS A7A266 mobo and MBM5.
    I have a Volcano II and 2 fans on the case, one going in, the other out (back case fan). It is a fairly large case so should have enough airflow. Anyways my
    BIOS says that the temps on the CPU are 59*C at idle and 61*C max.
    MOtherboard monitor 5 says that temps are 66*C at idle, and 68*C otherwise on load.

THat seems pretty high to me, but I have tried everything, even Arctic Silver 2 paste. I know that the Heat sink is on correctly. I just got my mobo back from repairs after I fried the thing and the CPU and I don't want to loose it.

Use MBM to see if your voltages are on the mark. If they're fluctuating, the regulator may be the prob.

Otherwise recheck the HSF mounting and the amount of grease on it.

Has it always run so hot? what is the system (case) temp?

OK, the voltages are stable.

It has always been like that.

When the side pannel is on the case temp's are 36*C according to MBM5 and Asus Probe and the BIOS. RIght now my room temp is 27*C.

I took the cover off and took one of those room fans and blew that inside and the case temperatures went down to 28*C and the CPU went down to 60*C from the previous 66*C on MBM5, or 51*C to 46*C with Asus Probe or the BIOS.

Now the question is, which reading is correct MBM 5 or the BIOS or Asus Probe.

They all seem to agree on the case temp, but the CPU temp they completely dissagree on.

I would check how it's mounted. You may have too much paste or not enough. The heatsink may not be mounted flat and secure.

Also try something like CPUCool's force Athlon cooling for idle temps. At least untill you figure it out.

I am positively, sure that the cpu core has correct contact with the heatsink.

I reaplied the paste but same thing. I forgot to mention that with my last CPU the temps have been similar, so maybe the A7A runs that hot-just a thought

Ultimate Member
    The MAX temp for your CPU is 95C

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/011810.html

I know someboyd else who has the same problem. He has the 1.2 gig, 266MHz T-Bird with the Asus A7V133 and a Volcano II. His temps are the same as yours... It's also a little unstable because of it.. but he has 2 fans and he's not very tech savy and if I told him he needed more fans he'd think I was pulling his leg... But I'v been trying to figure this out myself.

~Paul

Thank you all for trying to help, but this is probably going to stay
    "The mystery of an overheating CPU"
    After rounding the floppy h.drive cables, the temp dropped to 62*C idle and 65*C while playing Counter-Strike. It is pretty stable(especially after the 4 degree drop since I rounded the cables). I also know a few people that can't get their Athlons below 63*C and they've been running without problems.

I guess that it is the ASUS A7A mobo to blame.

Unless I spend 30 bucks to buy myself those probe readers that are really accurate, I won't know who to believe, the MBM5 or the BIOS.

I'm using the same mobo with a 1.3 Athalon and my temps are 60c at idle and can get up to 72c loaded. I've got a full tower, 2 bays with fans, 1 front intake fan, 2 rear discharge fans, p/s fan, and a PCI slot fan - more than enough freakin' airflow. My system hasn't crashed or become unstable yet - I'm resigned that those are the temps for these chips. I just built a 1.2 with the A7V last month with a few less fans and it runs about the same.

One thing I did find out on this 1.3 I'm not using. After getting it together, etc., I ran a system monitor and it reported my cpu @ 100%. The only thing running was McAfee Firewall. I closed it and the usage dropped to 3% and the temps dropped x 10c.

ME

I know someone running a tb 1.2 also, whos having the same problems, room temp is not hot, hs/fan is definetely on right, voltage is dead on, and its still running way too hot.

The chip may be able to take 95c, but ****, things start becoming unstable way before then..

Id try to get another chip, may be faulty I guess...

I have exact the same sys ...

I have a 1,2 ghz,
    volcano II
    2x Sunon Case fan
    Enermex 350 watt PSU (is cooling too..)

My CPU goes 43 idle 49 max (after 24hr Prime95 in torture (and heavy Quaking )

my mobo 30 idle 32 max (same stresstest)

The thing is quite silent (thanks to the volcano )

so I dont really see what the problem could be with your sys .. did you tie all cables out of the way from yer frontfan ... I took all cables out of the way and taped my ribbon cables to reduce the airflow blocking (brought my idle temp down with 2°C had no influence at all on my max temp, so I think idle temp is especially case Ventilation-related and the max temp solely HSF related ...

Yeah, I rounded the cables and moved them out of the way. Even after the case side was off and I blew the big fan into the case, especially on the heatsink, the temps dropped only to 59*C on idle, and 63* C while playing CS.

How reliable is MBM 5?
    When I read the temps from the BIOS they are 51*C on idle, and 56*C at high load.
    It is the MBM that states those high temps (as stated in previous posts).

Thanks for the help