Thread: Copper Athlon's SOON!!

Lightbulb Copper Athlon's SOON!!

AMD has finally revised their copper fabrication process, and is no turing out good quality copper k7's. The core has been slightly revised, and the yield rate is now on target with earlier projections. They haven't released mhz information, but testing is now underway. Expect these chips in the next few weeks. Some 1 gig samples have already been released. Heres more info:

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20000405S0033

Hopefully AMD will get around to releasing a chip with an on-die full speed l2 cache soon also. I would like to see what a k7 core with a full speed l2 cache could actually do against a coppermine. The slower cache models are already faster the coppermines in most areas, so I'm wondering what this model could really do.

[This message has been edited by RobRich (edited 04-06-2000).]

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Sweet. ven though im not a Athlon fan, I appretiate the good stuff there turning out,and I may buld an Athlon system. Copper is the best, may it RULE AGAIN!!!!!!

Ultimate Member
    all around................................

Lightbulb

are they not using copper interconnects instead of a full copper die?

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

I LOVE THE ATHLON!!!! THEY COULD OF DONE BETTER WITH THE L2 CACHE IN THE CURRENT ONES THOUGH, BUT YES!!! THE SPITFIRE, SLEDGEHAMMER,MUSTANG!!! I CAN'T WAIT!!!