Thread: Windows scrambles icons

Question Windows scrambles icons

Every so often, Windows seems to decide to relocate all the icons on the Desktop. Sometimes it is triggered. Two things in particular:
    1. Using Explorer to view the contents of the Desktop folder.
    2. Sometimes, a completely unexpected reboot - not by the reset switch; more like a bad system error. That is very rare though.

It always rearranges them in alphabetical order. Where is the icon layout stored - registry; a file? How can I back it up?

Angry

You know, I've been wondering the same thing for years. I have many shortcuts on my desktop and they are all arranged in MY categories. It is very frustrating to have to rearrange them. I don't know of any file but there must be one somewhere. Meanwhile, to save some time I just take a screenshot of my current desktop icon arrangement and stick it in where the wallpaper goes. So then, when Windows decides to screw up I simply switch to my screenshot as my wallpaper and put the icons over the picture.

Warthog

Thumbs up

Interesting idea; I used to use the screenshot for reference - I've pretty much memorized where all the icons go by now. I'll have to try your idea sometime. Isn't it fun having do deal with these "issues," as Microsoft would put it?
    To anyone else: any registry experts? Searching Microsoft's database is like trying to find a specific speck of dust in a vacuum bag. Can you imagine that: a database of every single bug in Microsoft's software. Does any storage media exist that could hold that much data?

KMA

Lightbulb

Oh but there is a program for just that.It is called Desktop Restore or something. Whjen I find it I will provide the link to it. I have it on one of my backups.

KMA

Thumbs up

I was too lazy to look for it on cd but it is here. It's name is Restore Desktop.

Smile

I went to Metacrawler and looked up Desktop Restore. Am now downloading it from here:

http://www.softwarium.com/download/RDSetup.exe

I don't know if it's the same one; it's the same price - $10. Stinks that consumers have to pay(literally) for Microsoft's mistakes.

Hey Jeff - had to fix the format (too many characters without a break will widen the page). And tags are no longer needed longer with the new UBB. Just c&p or type the URL in w/out tags and you have an active link. -socalgal

[This message has been edited by socalgal (edited 01-28-2000).]