Thread: explosive CDs

explosive CDs

ack! it happened to me too! I had read the other day about CDs exploding in the CD-ROM, but it happened to me the other day
    Does anyone know what would cause this?
    I had my Windows 98 CD in a 56x generic CD-ROM, and was having trouble reading it. Then, I clicked the icon in explorer, it tried to read it, and I heard a loud POP from the CD-ROM. When I opened it, there were little CD shards in there
    Why??

Jason

Greetings. This happened at work also. The explanation that I received was Heat. The cd-rom's generate a lot of heat and cd's become extremely brittle. kind of like if you heat glass too much, it will shatter/crack/break.

Mortis

Ultimate Member
    Exposure to Ozone, heat, UV Light(Flourescent or Sunlight)or scratches can cause failure in todays High Speed CD-ROM's

Another sure way to have problems, is to place a CD label on them without using the centering device.

This causes an out-of-balance condition that results in vibration.

I read somewhere that CD-ROM's commonly exceed 7,000 rpm

DrVette

I think that's just Microsoft's way of getting you to upgrade to their latest operating system.

[This message has been edited by ragtop (edited 07-19-2001).]

my friends daughter had this happen except in this case it blew out cover on the tray and shot out across the room destroying the cdrom tray face. someone told them this was caused by the cd being cracked. the girl had recently dropped the cd on a hard floor.

QUOTE:
    I had my Windows 98 CD in a 56x generic CD-ROM

Uncle Bill's planned obsolesence in action! You need to buy a new CD...must be original...pay up!

After thinking about this, it seemed like a good idea to make a back-up of my install CD...as long as it's legal.

[This message has been edited by crazyray (edited 07-19-2001).]

The heat problem is correct. To see this in action, take a blank or demo CD and put it in your microwave oven. Make sure that the bottom side of the CD is toward the front. Within seconds, you can see the lightning/crackling effect on the CD. It looks like when R2D2 got zapped. Stop the oven at that point and take it out before it explodes. BTW, I only do this in an old microwave that isn't used for cooking anymore.

I have an Asus 50X CD-Rom, and I’ve haven’t had the unfortunate pleasure of an exploding CD. I have done many installs with my windows Me CD, and have noted that the CD is quite hot to the touch after the install. But it never entered my mind that it would explode! Now I’m paranoid! Thanks a lot!

Gimp.