Thread: where do I find the windows registraion No./key code

where do I find the windows registraion No./key code

Nice easy one. Was told once where to find the windows registration No./key code required for reinstallation of o/s. have forgotten, can somebody point me in the right direction please. Nice and simple please.

I believe you can access it through the registry. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact key. to access the registry: <START>/<RUN>/type "regedit.exe"/under local machine go to software/Microsoft/Windows/Product Key/it should be there...sorry if thats not it

I also know if u have Win98SE, you can access it through <START>/<PROGRAMS>/<ACCESSORIES>/SYSTEM TOOLS>/<SYSTEM INFORMATION>

Ultimate Member
    jadison is right, it's stored in the registy under;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\ProductKey

...or type "regedit" into the Start>Run box and search the registry for "ProductKey", using either CTRL+F or Edit>Find.

I don't think you can find it under "System Information" though.

Win95b shows the registration # under system info. Start>settings>control panel> system.

On your desktop right click on My computer icon and in properties, copy the number in the bottom where is Registered to:, then click start-->Run-->Regedit [enter]
    In Regedit go to edit, paste the number you copied before and let windows search for that number. In some time depends on the size of the registry it will show you were is the number, look for a text in the left that says Product Key, write down those number and letters and you have the code.

Correct me if i am wrong but if your just reinstalling over the current OS, you dont need the number. When going to reinstall the OS it skips that whole section. Otherwise if your just trying to find it out, those tips are very helpful. I didnt even know how to do that.

Thanks guys,found it. It was in HKEY_ LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\User Information.
    Just for information,it is also in HKEY\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current version.

Thanks guys,found it. It was in HKEY_ LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\User Information.
    Just for information,it is also in HKEY\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current version.