Thread: Computer doe not boot !!

Computer doe not boot !!

I was installing a program and then my computer locked up on me so I had to turn it off by the power button.I then tried to restart my computer and the only thing that would run is the fans and the cd-roms lights did its normal blink.I have a Abit BE6-II 2.0 with raid Motherboard.A Sound Blaster Live sound card,US Robotics modem ,nvidia 64 meg video card,128 megs of Micron pc-100 memory. I tried another power supply ,another floppy drive and also another video card and took out all hardware other then the memory and video card and still got no results..When powered up it does Beep 1 time..
    When I plug the power cord into the back of the tower the keyboard lights blink..I don't know if that is normal..but they don't blink after I start the computer...nor does the floppy light light..Any help would be appreciated..

Hello Dale;

Did you check the settings in your BIOS ?
    Make sure the boot drive is C:
    Try a system boot disk in A: just to make sure the system will completely boot up.
    Then check the BIOS settings.
    Hope this works for you.
    Enigma

are you saying that you don't get a post screen at all (memory tests and where cards are and whatnot) or that windows doesn't boot up?

[This message has been edited by samwichse (edited 05-22-2001).]

No ,I don't get nothing on the screen .No bios boot up nothing .No post screens, no memory check ..I just turn the computer on and the cd-rom and my cd-rw flashes there lights and the fans run and the hard drive light lights .but nothing else..I tried a disk in the floppy drive but it does not attempt to read it..the light on the floppy does not come on when I turn the computer on.Everything in the computer is only about 6 mounths old. Anymore Ideas ??? Thanks

I have seen this problem a few times. If you have any extra memory that you know is good try changing it out with what you have installed already. Any size will do but remember to match the speed.

Good luck,

AL

Just a suggestion for you. Maybe there is a romp pak for your systemboard. I have seen this a couple of times. It might be that your systemboard is not recognizing your video card. The romp pak is a patch that makes your board see the card again.
    This is differant than reinstalling the drivers. Is the power light on your monitor green? or is it amber? Can you hear your hard drive spinning?

Mike

open it up and make sure everything is seated good. Check for heat and that the CPU Fan is ok.

Yes , I have re-seated everything..I did try different memory also..The power light on the monitor was flashing like when it goes into energy saving mode...the hardrive does spin and the cd-roms blink ..the fans also run..

My system(BE6-IIV2 RAID)after running awhile just started not posting without a long(cooloff?)interval afterward.Although my prime suspect is the all-in-wonder video card,since I'm overclocking my P3-700E chip with a peltier/waterblock combo to 933,I'm not sure it might not be the motherboard or the 150Mhz RAM.Anyone else with info on this motherboard's overclocking stability? Mark

Dale

Two things to look at - your CPU or motherboard. It's an either or situation.

In my opinion, your CPU's dead. Change it.

Michael Chiew

I would agree with Michael, but in my not inconsiderable experience, I have seen a grand total of one blown Intel Processor, and that was after all the filters on the mainboard power supply went.