Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are Western bad drives?

Lightbulb Are Western bad drives?

Somewhere, recently, there was a poll taken and it said that Western were the most returned hdrives. Years ago western was considered the best drive around, now are they the crappiest?
    I'm looking to get a propably a 15 gigger, 7200 rpm, what do you think?
    Is now quantum really good?
    Fujitsu has very little returns but, their slow.......

any Pointers Thank you kindly Liam

Lightbulb

i have more western returns, because i sell more. give the people what they want?
    actually, western has made a decision to concentrate on the low end. the fastest drive i have seen(ide) was a 15gb maxtor ata66 at ata33 7200. it was faster than my personal ibm 7200 ata66 12.8 gb!
    truthfully most drives by major manufacturers will work for at least 3 usually 5 years at over 99percent. go with the best performance, price,size in that order

Lightbulb

maxtor all the way, unless you want to dish out the cash for a IBM. Seagate Barracuda ATA II drives arent bad either, but Medalist drives suck, stick with maxtor and IBM for now.

Former volunteer

Lightbulb

I have had 3 maxtors and had to return 2 of them. The 40GB Maxtor is great but the smaller sizes are more apt to die. Had several WD's recently of the 15, 18 and 20GB size and they all worked great. IBM is still tops but WD is second. Also in my experience, Maxtor gets huge data corruptions frequently when you overclock as well. I;d say go WD or IBM.
    Dave

Lightbulb

Yeah, I've been reading the same bad things about Western Digital drives also.

I've been using Western Digital for quite some time now, but haven't had a single problem using that brand. I have a few 7,200rpm drives and found them to be very fast and reliable compared to other drives.

[This message has been edited by NDC (edited 09-07-2000).]

Cool

Currently, I have a mixture of Maxtor & Seagate drives, No problems with these. I've have W.D. drives in the past. Never a problem with the; just out-grown them.

Lightbulb

Are Western bad drives?
    No!!!

Lightbulb

all the hd's I have ever had are WD's, the current is a 15gb 7200 rpm hd, runs great

Talking

As the adage goes, everyone has a "cpu" and an opinion. Some are better than others. Bottom line: Like in the NFL, on any given Sunday any team can beat another. It may be fashionable to rant about WDC HDs this week, Maxtor next, Seagate in three weeks and IBMs in a month. Look for what you want spec wise at a good price. It's a toss of the dice.

PS: I've owned 4 or 5 HDs made by different manufacturers and they've pretty much been the same. Presently I'm running a Maxtor 20 GIG ATA/66 7200 RPM on an OC'd system. No problems.

Brangwen

Cool

I have 3 western digital drives in my case,
    WDC AC31 0200R: C: 9.5GB
    WDC WD30 7AA: D: 28.6GB
    WDC WD45 0AA-00BAA0: E: 41.9GB
    My board is Oced at 133Mhz from 100Mhz, I havent had a single problem with them. WD is the way to go as far as price and disk size.

Lightbulb

IBM makes WD Enterprise drives.

Lightbulb

Brian stole my thunder - IBM makes WD drives and Big Blue is *THE* name in HDD technology!

I've had at least 6 WD drives and never had a problem.

However, I'm about to buy 2 30gb Quantum LM Plus drives for the RAID in my next box. Those are nice speedy units!

Lightbulb

Never had a problem with WD hard drives. I've got one in a 386 machine (yeah, it's old) that runs fine. It's the original HD for that computer.
    My personal computer has a 20 Gig 7400 rpm WD hard drive. No problem there either.
    Several people I know have Maxtor HDs, no problems with them either.
    I'd recommend Maxtor or WD.

Lightbulb

What are the warrenties on the different brands? I have a maxtor that went bad. It has a 3yr warrenty. I ran the diagnostic program that came with it, called them and they're shipping me a new one. Very handy. It is only 3 months old though, But it would be great if it hapened in 2.5 yrs.
    I heard IBM is only 1 yr. true?

Lightbulb

Heck no!

I have a 6.4 GB 5400 RPm had it for 3 years not one problems whatsoever