Thread: Freezing Mailer

Hybrid View

Freezing Mailer

I'm having a problem with my mail client, Pegasus Mail. It started when my monitor died and I did an illegal shutdown trying to deal with that. I'd normally take this to the Pegasus forum, but it seems to be down for a rebuild.

Pegasus works well on my system except for a single function. I cannot move mail from the "New Mail" folder to any other folder. When I hit the 'move' button my whole system freezes, except for the mouse. The cursor will move around, but has no other functionality. It moves but won't do anything else. My system locks up as soon as I ask it to move an email to another folder. At that point I must go to Task Manager and kill Pegasus.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Pegasus since this started, so I don't think the problem lies within the program. I have rebooted Pegasus several times, and I have rebooted the computer several times. My "New Mail" folder is growing because I can't move mail out of it.

I'd certainly appreciate some help on this.

Note that I do not have an answer. Simply trying to help you find a solution.

1) Are you sure the folder you are trying to move the email into actually exists, (in both Pmail and Windows)?

2) Does Pmail freeze when trying to move a single email?

3) Have you tried something similar to Pmail's solution to the "Question: How do I archive mail folders? If I later need them, how would I be able to access them?" on their FAQ page here: http://www.pmail.com/faqs/faqs_wsg.htm

Thank you for such a quick reply, SpywareDr. You led me through another problem not long ago. Lets hope we can solve this one also.

1) Yes, the folders do exist. I can go to any folder and bring up it's email contents. The largest folder has just shy of 7000 emails. I can bring up any one of those emails for viewing.

2) Yes, trying to move a single email will freeze everything until I kill Pegasus through Task Manager. The single click on the 'move' button will freeze the system. I highlight an email and tell PMail to move it and things freeze. The cursor will still move around, but clicking things with it brings no action.

3) No, I've never tried to archive any of my email. I simply store email in the appropriate folder. I've tried to keep things as simple as possible.

I've used Pegasus for 25 years now, and been quite happy with it. I really don't want to change, so I've got to get PMail fully working again. PMail is now fully working except for this one function. Email is starting to pile up in the 'New Mail' folder. I delete what I don't want, but still...

Thanks, and you're welcome. Problem is, I've never used Pmail so I'm shooting in the dark here.

Does Pmail have a separate 'Deleted' (or similar) folder? If so, once you delete an email, can you then move that email from 'Deleted' into any folder other than the 'New Mail' folder . . . without doing so freezing Pmail?

Your shooting in the dark is much better than my WAG. I'm not at all surprised that you've never used PMail. It comes out of New Zealand and has a small but loyal following.

I just picked a random email in the 'deleted' folder and tried to move it. The system froze and I had to go through Task Manager to terminate it.

As I mentioned earlier, in my effort to fix this I upgraded from PMail v4.72.xxx to v4.73, the latest version. That didn't work, other than to give me the latest version. It makes me wonder whether the problem might be elsewhere, other than in PMail. Could it be in my OS? Is that possible? Is there anything within the OS or the browser which might be causing this?

I'm running an older Dell desktop with W7 and FireFox v79. I'll try upgrading Firefox to v80. I did a complete data backup two days ago. I'd be extremely unhappy if I were to lose my data.

I would try getting rid of some of the old emails that are no longer needed. 7000 emails in just one folder is a lot of data esp if there are any attachments with them. Could be the mail program is just balking at all of that. The archive solution Doc suggests would be worth a try. Even deleting all the emails in the deleted folder might help a bit.
    Don't believe everything you think

If you create a new folder and try to move to that - does it work?

Can you drag an email from one folder to another?

My Outlook 2010 goes nuts when I move large number of emails to other folders. I end up having to run a REPAIR function.... I didn't see anything to Repair Pegasus but you might look more.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    If you create a new folder and try to move to that - does it work?

I just tried that, tried creating a new folder. You've found a second function which locks the system. It locks up as soon as I hit the 'Creat a New Folder' button.

Can you drag an email from one folder to another?

I just tried that too, and the answer is Yes, I can drag mail from folder to folder. I never tried that before, so this is something me. It's a more cumbersome way to move mail, but it works. Thank you for the suggestion.

My Outlook 2010 goes nuts when I move large number of emails to other folders. I end up having to run a REPAIR function.... I didn't see anything to Repair Pegasus but you might look more.

I think you're right. I too cannot find a repair function. I was hoping that the upgrade to the current version would serve as a repair also, but it did not.
    My answers are interspersed within the quoted text. I'm not sure how that will work in this forum.

There is definite progress here. I can now move mail around, folder to folder. It's a more cumbersome method, but it works. I'll view that as a temporary fix, a work-around, for the time being. I'd really like the program to be fully functional, as it was before.

I'll do almost anything to avoid upgrading to W10. From the little I've seen of it (my daughter has it on her laptop) I don't think I'd enjoy using it.

I'll offer an interim 'thank you' at this point. I'd still like to achieve full functionality.

All good ideas, thanks guys.

If you cannot restore a backup back before the problem occurred, my next step would be to upgrade to Windows 10.

Hopefully Pmail will have their new community forum up and running soon ... in the hope that someone there would have some other ideas to try.

My though in this is that the shutdown may caused an issue with the mailbox database. There are third-party tools (free and pay) to extract data from Pegasus for import/export purposes. It may also be possible to create a new database and folder set and transfer the emails and data. The database size may also be an issue. I normally do not let email databases get over 2 GB before archiving them and starting a new one.

Note: Pegasus version 5 beta should be available some time in the (relatively) near future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Mail

https://gist.github.com/ned14/f261bf...3588242df0a1ef

https://www.vandenbogaerde.net/pegas...f_pmfiles.html

http://www.pmail.com/devnews_archive.htm

https://www.stellarinfo.com/email-re...cover-mail.php

Curiouser and curiouser. My mail system seems to be cured. I spent some time this morning dragging and dropping mail, cleaning out the New Mail folder. Then I thought to try to easier way, using the "Move" button. It worked. I did not freeze Pegasus.

I have no idea how it was cured. I didn't do anything specific to fix it. I have made only one change in the last couple days. Yesterday I received and installed a new monitor. My old monitor had seen it's last days (a back lighting failure), and I was using an old Dell square monitor. All I did was change out the monitor, and the mail client is now fully functional. It's probably better if I don't dive too deeply into the cause. I might start some serious day drinking.

Lets close this one out. It seems to be resolved. I thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Thumbs up

Great to hear it's working again! Would be nice to know exactly what the problem was but, what is it they say, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"?