Thread: Fun Question

Fun Question

So since many of us are ordered to shelter in place with little to do I have a fun question about good old windows ME.
    Am I the only person to have used windows ME with out any issues? I was having this conversation with a co-worker about the disaster he experienced when he upgraded from win 98SE to ME.
    My personal experience with windows ME was actually postive. Back in May of 2000 I built a pentium III system using a Asus CUSL2 motherboard and installed a 933MHZ pentium along with
    512 MB of memory,
    soundblaster live,
    32MBvideo card,
    SCSI card,
    Ethernet card,
    and even a zip drive.

This system had a swappable harddrive bay allowing me to use either windows 2000 or windows 98SE. After about 3 or 4 months I realized that win 2000 was far superior to win 98 and found my self using win 2000 about 85% of the time.
    Early in 2001 I upgraded to windows ME because I installed a USB 2.0 card which refused to work with windows 98.
    So for about 4 months I used windows ME about 50% of time with few issues and crashes .
    Early in 2002 my windows 2000 hard drive just died . I was a litle slow in replacing and restoring it. for about maybe 5 weeks windows ME was my exclusive OS . Again no major issues.

So today I decided to pull my old PIII out of the closet and I actually using my windows ME OS to write this post.

I bought a new Dell pc for home that came with Win ME... I too liked it better than Win 98.

I had just started a new job and was using Win 2k there... And I really liked that.

Microsoft did not recommend it since ME came out after Win 2000, BUT I upgraded my home ME to 2000 and it worked.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Well I can not say I liked Win ME flat out better than 98SE. ME was better for some things and win 98SE was better for other things but I stuck with Me because it was updated, and supported the current tech better. I think the reason I had a positive experience was because at that time all my hardware was current . I believe incompatible drivers may have been the #1 reason it crashed on a lot of people. Win 2000 was clearly better than both 98 and ME. XP was better than win 2000 but you needed much stronger hardware to appreciate it. Then windows 7 was best. Now we are all on tablets.

I also used VISTA and liked it.... It was in the same boat as ME.... A new modern pc and all was well.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Those were golden times.

looks fun to build for a retro machine. very nice!

I agree with you, but I don't understand why to keep such a vintage?) it is necessary to close it in a safe place and in 20 years it will be worth a fortune

I've never had any problems with any OS other than the switch from dos to ntfs. A lot of programs and games didn't work anymore. I used both ME and Vista for several years. ME was really 98 se with a few extras. System restore made it's first appearance in ME. It was similar to scanreg /restore back then.
    I think most people that had issues were trying to run the OS on under powered equipment. This was true especially in Vista. Wahhh they said 1 GHZ and512 MB would run it. :P

TET POST...