Thread: The great new world of SSD drives ???

The great new world of SSD drives ???

So SSd drives are finally becoming affordable . They are now almost at the same price per GB as a traditional hard drive. The changeling is that there are some many options out there . I would say easily over 50 brands to pick from.
    In the good old days of the spinning drive i was a fan of Maxtor which later became Seagate . I had experiences with western digital and IBM hardrives so I was a seagate only person.
    When it's comes to SSD I'm finding that the internet loves loves Samsung , but that might be because they have great marketing. The internet also like Western digital and Intel .
    So I"m curious to know your excrescences. and preferences.
    So far I've only purchased two SSD and they were both Seagate. I bought one 250GB for an old laptop and it made the laptop run better then ever. Also a 1TB SSD for my brothers PC and he loves it too.
    Now we are looking to get a SSD for my Wife 2012 Mac pro . It's a little dated but supports the current OS. my wife is a graphic artist and relies on it for her business.
    Seagate drives almost seem to good to be true because they have a great price from a reputably brand.
    Last edited by Dannyzomb; 01-24-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Winxp-people over here are running SSDs with cards on very old SSE2-processor-PCs.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-...builds-part-2/
    Discussion is about forked browsers to run on older Winxp-PCs like palemon/newmoon.
    Dropped my Acer Spin 1-111 ultrabook 1.25kg four times from 0.85m onto wooden ground with minor repairable damage(thread worn out thicker screw now sitting on. of course the ground around bed is no prepaired for next fall. Next Ultrabook these days will be only 0.99kg.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Time out!! Europanorama , are you saying you are still using windows XP???
    I was kind of hoping to get feed back on peoples experience with different brands of SSD drives.
    both positive and negatives experiences.

Not sure about Macs, but Samsung or Sandisk would be my first choices. WD owns Sandisk now, so the newer WD SSDs are probably rebranded Sandisks. There are a lot of other brands like Mushkin, Crucial, Corsair, etc.

I've seen OWC SSDs for Macs, but I'm not sure how they compare to other brands.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyzomb View Post
    Time out!! Europanorama , are you saying you are still using windows XP???
    I was kind of hoping to get feed back on peoples experience with different brands of SSD drives.
    both positive and negatives experiences.
    why not with the right SSE2-configuraration and SSD. its running smooth enough. and win7 is not supported anymore so why forced to go under win 10-espionnage?
    read over there only if seriously interesting.
    I think the internet-establishment is slowing down the remaining xp-usere whereever they are able to do. Youtube is one of them. one day no winxp-user will be accepted there. there are troubles with twitter-sound etc. endless list.
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-...e/52/#comments
    the reason i am still on xp is simple. want to find out why my pc is slow and examening the other failures.if i know the mechanism it will help with on newer systems. but in my case they are both ultrabooks by acer. so its not of big help. a different world, yes with thunderbolt 3 for the acer swift 5.
    slower Acer Spin 1-11 already had four crashes to wooden base at 0.85cm survived. nothing defective other than worn out screw to be replaced by a bigger one.
    Last edited by europanorama; 01-29-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Every Microsoft OS since Vista is spying. If that is of concern (as should be) why not use Ubuntu or Mint? I don't believe they are spying and you can go on virtual any website .

If you are using windows XP I curious to know what antivirus software and firewall you are using that is still up to day with XP?

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyzomb View Post
    Every Microsoft OS since Vista is spying. If that is of concern (as should be) why not use Ubuntu or Mint? I don't believe they are spying and you can go on virtual any website .
    Maybe so, maybe not. But I will never go Linux because my programs won't run in any flavor of that OS. And don't tell me there are similar programs that will, cause they're isn't anything similar to what I use. I have friends who run Linux distros, so I know.