Thread: PIII windows 98se for real !!

PIII windows 98se for real !!

way back in April of 2000 I built the ultimate Pentium 3 system for the time. It was retired by the end of 2004 for the most part . I say for the most part because even today it's the best system I've had for converting old records and cassettes to digital. I've even used to to digitalis old VHS. It's also still great for those old dos games.
    The issue is the hard drives are approaching death .
    It has a 60 Gb drive with win 2000 and
    40 GB drive with win 98SE
    (I switch the cable depending which i need)
    both drives and installs are from at least 2003 if not earlier and of course they are IDE.
    I want to clone them but there is no cloning hard ware for IDE. I could get a SSD to work on the system but there is no way I'm going to get a new drive and install set up and finely tuned like the current ones.
    Any cloning software out there that still works with win 98 or 2000?
    Or any cloning hard ware for IDE drives that you know of.
    much to my surprise they actually make PATA SSD
    The system is pIII 1ghz
    asus CUSL2
    512 MB ram
    SCSI card with SCSI CD burner and back up scsi drive
    creative labs live platinum.
    64MB AGP4 video

The drives started approaching death ten years ago....

I don't think any of the cloning software cares about the method that a drive connects to a mobo. Finding the software that will work on the old OS's will be the challenge.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

You could use a standalone duplicator, like this one:

StarTech.com > Universal Docking Station for Hard Drives
    Technical Specifications

SOFTWARE

OS Compatibility OS independent; No software or drivers required

Amazon.com > StarTech.com UNIDOCKU33 - $60.99

Ultimate Member
    I could help but only in one month Mid-Febr. i can dig through my cds and floppies. Older ghost and diskmanagers used. Meanwhile you could search here or google what you need.
    have all the cds from pc-magazines trown away 2 years ago.
    you could ask the people here. some are using older pentium III-systems-are successfully surfing.
    this link is leading you to browsers for winxp but search or ask in this forum:
    https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-...e/29/#comments
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    Aomei Backupper meant.
    Free version cannot System cloning.
    What is meant? No Systempartition cloning or backup?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

I've finally found cloning software that will work with with windows 2000 but not 98Se . Strangest thing happened to this and I'm wondering if this has every happened to anyone. I decided that before cloning the drive I would clean off my Norton which expired in 2006 and replace with Avast antivirus 7.0 from 2013. 2013 is old but still better than Norton from 2006 . After installation I noticed that my PIII 1.0 gHZ system (overclocked to 1.080GHZ) was very slow. Avast wanted to update it's self to version 8.0. so i let it. Once complete I noticed that the system was insanely slow and processor was perpetually at 100% capacity. Just as I concluded that I would have to uninstall Avast I got a blue screen of death along with a scary beep and the system rebooted. I quickly unplugged it because I knew what that beep was. I opened the case,put my finger on the heat sink and it was scorching hot.
    This was the first time I ever had an app overheat my CPU. This CPU has a massive copper heat sink on it with a super fan . I let it cool for 10 minutes and booted to the bios just to check on the temperature and it was still at 150 degrees.
    This case is well ventilated, the CPU fan was working well so i find it hard to believe that software could overtax your CPU so much as to overheat it . Is Avast just a crappy antivirus?
    I'm also wondering if the same could happen to my 3 gen i7 6 core processor.

Support.Avast.com > Avast Antivirus - FAQs
    System Requirements

What are the system requirements for Avast Antivirus?

For Avast Premium Security (previously Avast Premier), Avast Free Antivirus, and Avast Omni:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

• Windows 10 except Mobile and IoT Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 8/8.1 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 7 SP1 or higher, any Edition (32 or 64-bit).

• Windows fully compatible PC with Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 processor or above (must support SSE2 instructions); ARM-based devices are not supported.

• 1 GB RAM or above.

• 2 GB free space on the hard disk.

• Internet connection to download, activate, and maintain program updates and antivirus database.

• Optimally standard screen resolution no less than 1024 x 768 pixels.