Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC will not boot

Hybrid View

Question PC will not boot

My PC was been booting up fine using onboard video, I reinstalled my GTX 750 Ti video card yesterday, it was not working, so I removed it and plugged the video cable back into the onboard video, now my computer will not boot ?
    Last edited by Network67; 08-27-2019 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Edit

Ultimate Member

Clean all contacts. Replace battery

Cleaning all contacts and possible replacing battery(read manual evtl. google) and cables helped me often. PSU and videocard are those which dye often.
    Cleaning done with hard erazor where possible, wiped dust with brush, clean with 90% alcohol(or 70% but then wait a bit till reconnecting).
    If old PC from around 2004 then capacitor-plague could have broken out. google.
    Have a long thread about that but needs a lot of time and nerves following....
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

I have a feeling it may be the power supply, when I connect my fan to the power supply it does not spin. Also the power supply has a fan on the bottom that is not working ?

Quote Originally Posted by Network67 View Post
    I have a feeling it may be the power supply, when I connect my fan to the power supply it does not spin. Also the power supply has a fan on the bottom that is not working ?
    Yes, Power supply is dead. If the fan on it doesn't spin that a sure sign of a dead power supply and computer will not boot because of it.

How do I send a photo of my hard drive ?

My Current Power Supply is a Therlatake TR2 500 Watt. Looking to replace this, is Thermaltake good name ? Looking at the Thermaltake 500 Watt Smart ATX 12V. 80 plus certified Active PFC Power Supply.??

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by photolady95 View Post
    Yes, Power supply is dead. If the fan on it doesn't spin that a sure sign of a dead power supply and computer will not boot because of it.
    there is a trick how to check PSU. one needs to shorten two pins(black plus No ? pls google. and take very care which one.
    New PSU. i am now only buying PSUs like Corsair CX 650 M. Cables are flexibly removable no more chaos in the box.
    Last edited by europanorama; 09-08-2019 at 02:18 AM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Quote Originally Posted by europanorama View Post
    there is a trick how to check PSU. one needs to shorten two pins(black plus No ? pls google. and take very care which one
    Not everyone knows or wants to take the chance on shorting two pins. I use a PSU tester by Asus.

Question

Hello, I have another question, I believe I have a issue with my power supply, as my PC will not boot. However I do see see a green led on my motherboard, so this is telling me the motherboard is getting power, Does this mean the power supply is not an issue ??
    Last edited by Network67; 10-15-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Error

Keep in mind that you need a minimum load on a desktop PSU before it will work. 0.3 amps at +3.3V or 2–4 amps at +5V or .5–1 amps at +12V should do it.

Adding to what Doc said, if you use that standalone video card, check how much power it needs to run in your computer. Most say at least, 300W and then you have all your peripherals, printers, USB ports, and your motherboard, memory, etc.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
    Last edited by photolady95; 09-02-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Ultimate Member
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

And I wouldn't trust Thermaltake any more after I had two die on me.

Now I only trust Corsair modular models. Using modular model, you don't need all the wires that come with traditional PSU, so the modular models allow you to use just the wires you need.
    Last edited by photolady95; 09-09-2019 at 12:59 PM.