Thread: Video card or Motherboard ?

Question Video card or Motherboard ?

Hello, I upgraded my PC a couple years ago with a new motherboard
    ASUS P8 B75 -M /CSM 4 gigs Crucial ram, 500 what power supply and EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti video card. Everything working great. The video card stopped working after helping a friend with his PC and using the VGA port on my monitor, I did disconnect my DVI from the monitor before plugging his computer into the VGA Port. I have removed my video card and now using onboard DVI. I have reinstalled it, but not working, how do I know if it is an issue with the video card or the motherboard ? Also, can you reccomend testing software for all components of my PC ?

Thanks,

Ok, so I pulled out the video card and had a good look at it, there is a fan on it. I looked in the EVGA graphics card user guide and it says a 4 pin power connection is required, but I have looked all over the card and can find no power connections ?

Ok, So I just read that the Specs on this video card, and it does not require additional power other than the Pcie slot

But your whole computer uses that 500w power supply, this includes, dvd drives, usb ports and anything else you have plugged in. What in the specs of the video card tells you how much wattage it needs to run that card?

Go here and use this website and it will tell you if your 500w power supply is enough power to run everything.

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
    Last edited by photolady95; 08-03-2019 at 03:05 AM.

Don't forget to include any fans you have in your case, they run off the power supply too.

Thanks Photolady, I have a 500 watt Crucial power supply, so snot that. I have another look at the video card, re seat it..

Quote Originally Posted by Network67 View Post
    Thanks Photolady, I have a 500 watt Crucial power supply, so snot that. I have another look at the video card, re seat it..
    How much power wattage does the card say you need to run it. If it's high, you have other things running off the power supply too and 500w might not be enough.

Let me introduce myself, I've been a moderator on VirtualDr for 15 years, I'm also a computer tech by trade. My user name is because I'm also a professional photographer which I started using before I started building and repairing computers. I still build my own. So I know a bit about power and what a video card might need even if it doesn't need a direct line to make it work.