Thread: Good alternative to Seagate tools?

Hybrid View

Good alternative to Seagate tools?

Assuming I don't have a Seagate drive what would be a good free universal alternative?

Seatools can scan non-Seagate drives also, but it can only do repair actions on Seagate drives. If a drive is going bad, you're better off just getting a new drive rather than repairing it anyway.

What kind of drive do you have?

It's an older Maxtor drive. Nothing wrong with it I was just looking to repurposed it from a older system .
    I wanted to do a low level formatting of the drive and wipe it clean. First I tried using good old fashion fdisk since the PC still had a floppy but it didn't work and I didn't think it would anyway. Then I tried Seagate tools because I found Seagate tools to be an awesome utility that will allow me to format and partition a drive and test it . IT didn't work since it's not a seagate drive.
    I eventually used my win 10 PC to reformat it . But I would still love to know if there is any thing else like seagate tools that can read and work with multiple file system like fat 16 or NTFS,or HFS as well as test drive and maybe even make simple repairs .

You don't need to low-level format. Seagate owns Maxtor now. If it's a really old drive, you can try to find the old version of Powermax.

If you wanted to wipe the drive, it's better to use something like DBAN or Killdisk.

You could try searching for other hard disk tools here: https://www.majorgeeks.com/