Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cloning bootdrive to new HDD. Preparations-Formatting?

Ultimate Member

Cloning bootdrive to new HDD. Preparations-Formatting?

Will clone 500gb IDE to new 1TB-Sata-drive.
    a) must the new drive first be recognized and prepaired in the system?
    b) formatting not needed?
    Thanks
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Does disk management see the drive? If yes, you need to create a partition, then format the drive so it can accept the cloning.

All drives need to be prepared before they can accept DATA.

Ultimate Member
    Like decades ago i will use again diskmanager from boot-cd. it seems it doesnt matter of older. i only fear very slow formatting on SSE-processor pc. will do when not busy working on pc. only have one working now. except netbook with IPS-screen. only this way i will know. I expect quicker working hdd. from 500gb to 1TRB. already recognized this when switching to 2TB mon other configuration. Thanks
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

You're welcome!

Ultimate Member
    Now the 20 Cent/Rappen(Zwanzgerli) went trough. in the meantime this had been done by me within Windows.
    maybe its better not to set drive-letters.
    If available in diskmanager for my new drive quick-format will do, right?
    otherwise i could imagine to wait very long on my old SSE-processor-pc. On the other hand would then know how long.
    its time to get a x299 during this year or even newest tech-pc with quickest USB.
    in the meantime old-win7-pc will be reactivated and i will get a 32gb ram i7-PC asus Z87C.
    quick i7 laptop convertible also in my backhead. have acer spin 111. 1.25kg. win10s/edge.
    Last edited by europanorama; 02-15-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Still puzzled-dead end-how to setup new drive for cloning?WINXP

I couldnt boot when new SATA 1TB was connected neigther from main drive nor from boot-CD(hirens).
    system is seeing the drive when attaching after boot(hot-swapping)but setting partition is greyed out.

I wonder how i did when i first setup my first PC where i am now:GA-7N400Pro2.
    Tried out every possible options. its a IDE/SATA-raid-drive.
    i remember first pcs i used diskmanager from floppy.
    will now download WD-diskmanager. maybe running from flashdrive?
    UPDATE: Working now maybe since i hadnt logout from restricted account. maybe i didnt trigger the right button. will check if it was really the active restricted account.
    Update 2
    had to close the window and when clicking Datenträgerverwaltung again drive-setup opened. restricted account still active.
    Last edited by europanorama; 03-06-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Setting empty drive active before formatting or afterwards? or not at all?SURPRISE

Only ready now but today its 200gb-winxp-sata-drive which will be expanded to 1TB.
    preparation has been done. setting partition and formatting but BIG SURPRISE when drive was attached to external esata-docking station(on second channel) ready for cloning/backup drive.
    1. Could only see offline-drive when i did hotswapping(attached after bootup). It was obviously the 1TB.
    2. Started with attached drive but it hanged during start with non-showing capacity.
    3. went back in drive-administration and a quick idea told me right-clicking and wow i could reactivate.
    the whole setting up had to be done. incl. formatting. quick format didnt work-error.
    Activating now or after formatting or not at all?
    Had the option to set drive active before formatting which i didnt do.
    Since not yet done must the drive set active after formatting.
    It will be the backup drive of my boot-drive. 200 gb to 1 TB.
    I didnt do anything with the prepaired drive. So how was is set offline?
    Last edited by europanorama; 04-04-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Problem still no solved. external drive on second channel shown up but without size? its hanging.
    will try to set on after boot before sata-display is coming. didnt change anything else. cannot imagine why i should.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Solved-halfway- Backup-drive doesnt boot!

Cloning worked but Backup-drive doesnt boot.....
    Here is my setup:
    Ga-7N400 Pro 2.
    Two Sata-slots. plus 2x IDE Raid
    Multiple options to backup System-SATA-Drive(here 200GB):
    a) attaching to second slot
    b) docking-station USB 2.0(slow)
    c) PCI-Card esata-IDE-SATA cannot use since PCI-slots are defective(capacitor plague?) we will see when i exchange capacitor later.
    d) Sata to Power esata-card which i used here. one cannot boot from it. will get a solution where one can boot from it.
    For Cloning its not needed.

Solved was cloning:
    Remember at start only boot-drive with size is displayed
    Backup-drive is shown without size and it will hang.
    Workaround like aready mentioned but didnt yet execute:
    Only after boot-drive-recognition has passed power on docking-station (Orico 6518 series 3.5/2.5 is also working. USB,Firewire, eSata)
    Drive is now ready for cloning. here 200gb to 1TB. took 45 min.
    A lot of manual options to set partition-sizes.
    But after Cloning big surprise. Drive doesnt boot.
    Will now check in Drive-management.
    i activated beforehand. maybe its deactivated by default. setting partition and formatting done some weeks ago.
    What must be done?
    Thanks
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    True Image 2014 used.
    maybe i should try an alternative?
    Diskmanagement says: Active. but bootdrive doesnt tell active.
    ????
    Maybe this helps e.g. the second comment by backingup up whole drive and restore on new drive. will it then also be expanded. 200gb to 1TB?
    https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acro...ing-how-not-do
    Last edited by europanorama; 04-23-2019 at 02:48 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Docking-station incl. card must have boot-function Trueimage 2014 is telling

Since i dont yet have a boot-version-card i will attach now my second 1TB-drive to the internal slot after preperation.
    https://kb.acronis.com/content/44741
    If you clone a disk with Windows to external USB hard drive, you will not be able to boot from it. Windows does not support booting from external USB hard drives.
    its not externak usb-drive but esata-nonbootable with this sat to power over esata card(non PCI) but i used one on other PC where i have working PCI.
    But cloning there not yet executed till now.
    I wonder if enlarged to 1tb 200gb-system will then worker smoother. less than 10gb free space on systempartition. i have a second working 200gb-HDD.
    here its about WD 200gb to 1tb WD cloning.
    I will first backup system partition externally.
    maybe i will backup whole drive (non cloning) first. thats what TI-tech told. see other link. Then recover and then it should boot.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Are you asking for help or are you just texting so you can figure out what to do next?

Ultimate Member

Think what you like

Quote Originally Posted by photolady95 View Post
    Are you asking for help or are you just texting so you can figure out what to do next?
    People with farsightedness understand my thread and try to answer where they see "?????".
    Would you ratheer like a world of people keeping their findings and questions for themself?There are still too much of these aorund.
    Last edited by europanorama; 04-28-2019 at 01:49 AM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Your ramblings makes no sense in a world where people ask questions about how to fix a computer. So far you haven't asked how to fix your problem, but have rambled on about what your've done so far, but nothing seems to work. How is that helping others?

Ultimate Member

read and follow

Quote Originally Posted by photolady95 View Post
    Your ramblings makes no sense in a world where people ask questions about how to fix a computer. So far you haven't asked how to fix your problem, but have rambled on about what your've done so far, but nothing seems to work. How is that helping others?
    Im am known to be precise but i am not the man who is precooking everything as recipy. in other words: you must collect data yourself. i gave hints where to find. i dont repeat what has been reported in earlier messages.

I will always add informations of my steps when done. since i am not yet in this stage-i interrupted cloning process-i cannot give more informations.
    True Image expert told( see link) direct cloning not possible in this case. maybe since my receiver-drive is on non-bootable slot with Sata to powerove esata-card connected to sata-slot 2. i will get a solution where external drive can boot. will not touch unbootable drive-copy of boot-drive. but i have a second 1TB-SATA which will be used in next trial. I will eighter connect it directly or use the new solution(mentioned above).
    And i will ask an expert if there is a different Software around than Trueimage 2014 which can clone 200gb to 1tb directly.
    i dont know yet if karens replicator is the right tool.
    https://www.karenware.com/powertools...backup-utility
    on newer SSE2-pc Asrock alive dual esata2 i had boot-option with Orico 6518 serie dockingstation(usb-firewire-esata) since there i could connect esata-cable to sata-esata-connector.
    on actually used Ga-7N400Pro there is only USB which has no boot-option at all. i must use the mentioned card which had no boot-option. TI di not mention this but could be the real problem. we will see. Next trial will be directly attaching backup-drive. but first i will backup systempartition-as file.
    Last edited by europanorama; 05-19-2019 at 01:35 AM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch