Thread: Understanding requirements

Understanding requirements

Attempting to load new game for my granddaughter on my computer! Its an HP 8000 Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.0GHZ , 16GB Memory, with Intel GMA 4500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0.

The game ARK; Survival Evolved game states that it is recommended to have an Intel Core i5-340 or AMD FX-8350 and a GeForce GTX 660/Radeon HD 7870 Graphic.

How do I equate those to see if the game should work on my desktop! It Installed but errors on startup. Does that mean my CPU can't handle it or the Video Graphic is incapable of handling the game.

I'm not illiterate computers and have built quite a few from scratch but the technology has evolved past my simple understanding. I would appreciate any help. Thank you>

Your computer is not going to be enough for that game. You'd have to look up the specs manually. There's no single chart.

The CPU is too slow. i5s are much newer than Core2s. The onboard graphics are not enough either. You'd basically need a new computer.

I agree with Midknyte. The main problem with your HP setup is:

1. Intel GMA 4500 graphics only supports DirectX version 10, and ARK: Survival Evolved requires DirectX 11.

2. Intel GMA 4500 graphics is built-in/onboard and ARK: Survival Evolved requires a separate GPU (graphical processing unit) with a bare minimum of at least 1 GB of Video RAM.

On-board graphics shares system RAM across the same bus as the CPU (central procewsing unit) which bottlenecks graphics performance considerably.

Here are ARK: Survival Evolved System Requirements
    Official Minimum Requirements
    Processor: 2 GHz Dual-Core 64-bit CPU
    Memory: 4000 MB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX11 Compatible GPU with 1 GB Video RAM
    DirectX: Version 11
    Hard Drive: 20000 MB available space

Recommended Requirements
    Processor: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz / AMD Ryzen R5 1500X
    Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 470 4GB or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
    System Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Storage: 60 GB Hard drive space
    DirectX 11 Compatible Graphics Card
    As you can see, your Intel Core2 Duo E8400 does meet the "Minimum" of "2 GHz Dual-Core 64-bit CPU". But, that is the minimum. And the difference between it and the "Recommended" Intel Core i5-4670K is "no comparision". If you compared them as MPH (miles per hour), the E8400 maxes out at 21 MPH while the i5-4670K can do 76 MPH. More info about that here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare...670K/955vs1921

What happened to the online website that would tell you if your computer could run a certain game? I used to have that bookmarked for just this sort of question but no longer have it or know if I still have it. Is it still in operation?

Yes, that's the one I used at VDR when members asked if their computer could run a certain game.

Bookmarked to give to daughter so she can see if her now older $5000 laptop will still run her World of Warcraft game installments.
    Last edited by photolady95; 12-16-2018 at 01:18 PM.

She says her $5000 laptop has four M.2 drives inside, two Nvidia video cards and don't know which cards are in there either, and i5 Intel core but I don't know which one. It has 64GB ram. I asked her how heavy it was and she said, UGH!!! LOL She had two custom built when she retired from Wally World after 20 years.

Wow, be interesting to how in the world they keep that monster cool. Hard enough with a single GPU.

I did teach her long ago that just cause it says "laptop" she shouldn't really lay it on her lap to use it.

She said she needs to get a mini vacuum and some canned air, so I'm thinking the lappers are starting to run hot on her. Not a good thing.

Ultimate Member
    i have heard laptops on lap are dangerous regarding radiation. all the waves around us then.
    and other noises from water and heating-pipes. not good. and churches bells ...
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

I think it is more dangerous to the laptop on your lap than to oneself. Being on your lap will block the flow of air to the the cpu and cause the laptop to over heat. Thus burn out the laptop faster, causing it to break before it could do any damage regarding radiation.