Thread: Can't load and start Windows 2K on laptop

Hybrid View

Can't load and start Windows 2K on laptop

Have an older C700 Compaq laptop, 128 gb SSI, 2 megs Crucial ram. Because od a camera tethering program I have (Nikon Capture 3.5). I had windows 7 on it before, ran like a deer. Killed the drive and reformatted and tried to install windows 2K with the four floppy disks from MS. The disks appeared to load normally without a stop but when you come to the end of disk 4 it has a screen that stated "Windows is now starting" but it never starts, I waited forever but it will not start. Just as a test I then loaded Windows XP Pro and it loaded O.K.? But unfortunately I can't run Capture in XP SP3. I want 2000 to tether my camera for bird shooting. I must have tried toi load W2K from the floppy's 10 times but nada. Any ideas...OH I changed the ram, H.D. and even made new floppy'd but the same?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Have you tried to make a CD from a windows 2000 iso free download ?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

I had to laugh Steve, I was downloading at the same time I read your suggestion.

Now another hitch in the getalong, I made a new CD, in fact two different ones, have the Intel sata drivers on a USB floppy to load at F6 on Windows setup, it loads ok up to the last segment (disk 4) then stops and asks for an "Intel Matrix Manager" floppy. I created the floppy from Intel but when the program stops and asks for the floppy I can't get any response from USB Drive (A) , the PC no longer sees drive A. It obviously recognized the A drive initially to load the 4 floppy disks. I tried everything to get the PC to recognize the A drive even in the bios etc, but no cigar, The Matrix driver is evidently an additional sata driver that's not on the original disk. I could try to slip stream it into the initial cd but I'm not using a CD, I'm using the four floppy's supplied by MS and don't know how to incorporate the Matrix driver into the four setup floppy's. I can't reason why the PC recognizes the A drive on initial start-up but then loses contact during the set-up process. After 35 years of playing with PC;s, the more I know the less I know.

I won't ask you about the part where you said "you made 2 CD's....

Installing a real floppy disk drive would probably help out.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

A real floppy drive in a laptop that didn't have one or even a place for one, guess I could modify the case with a soldering iron? that's why I opted for a USB floppy drive. Works like "sox on a rooster" now.

Have an older C700 Compaq laptop, 128 gb SSI
    What OS did that laptop come with? Do you mean an SSD? WinXP doesn't support SSDs properly, so Win2K surely won't either.

Solved the problem myself with a lot of midnight oil, the only way possible to install W2k with a sata or a SSD sata is to "slip stream" the sata drivers on a W2K setup CD. I have an original MS setup cd but it doesn't work, just freezes during install so that is why I tried the four floppy install, it didn't work either. At the end of the 4th disk install it went to blue screen. Now it works a treat but a pain to have to make a slip stream cd.

Hey Steve, if vegetarian eat vegetables what do humanitarians eat?

I forgot the part about it being a laptop.... Then again, I used to have a box of floppy drives for Dell laptops... Had to pop out the cd drive and pop in the A drive.