Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever had a battery backup that had

Ever had a battery backup that had

too many things plugged into it that the computer shuts down and gives error messages such as video not found, check video cable? Known working standalone video card, tried onboard video, tried another standalone video card, I knew worked, and tried two different video cables also, one mini, one full size. Still got same message.

First boot up, no beep (could have been bad speaker), but went into BIOS, set to boot from DVD drive, everything seemed fine. Windows was installing. Got as far as first reboot and then, got the message.

Just curious but this happened to me yesterday. I have a 650W Battery Backup APC brand, there are about 6 other things plugged into this backup, a LED light, a HP IPS monitor, a Dell laptop, a canon printer, and the desktop and a powered USB hub.

Does it help when you unplug all the other stuff?
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

I haven't tried that yet. Was going to try that today. Just never heard of such a thing with a battery backup, especially an APC brand one.

I had a previous one, a 350W when I had my computer in my bedroom before moving to Jacksonville, that worked fine with many things plugged into it, including an extra surge protector, with things plugged into it. Never one ounce problems from it. That's why this baffles me.

Oh and thought I'd tell you, after borrowing your signature, I got lots of responses from it on the other site I moderate on, the Pentax site, they love bacon over there, and said this made them laugh. So, thanks for letting me borrow it, Steve.
    Last edited by photolady95; 11-10-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Are you using an AP Smart-UPS? If so,

APC.com > What to do when the "Overload LED" on a Smart-UPS is illuminated?
    Issue:
    When loads exceed the UPS's rated VA(volt-amp) or Watt capacity, the overload LED will illuminate and the UPS will emit a continuous tone. The alarm remains on until the overload is removed.
    If the overload is severe, the input circuit breaker may trip (the resettable center plunger of the circuit breaker pops out). Disconnect nonessential load equipment from the UPS to eliminate the overload and press the plunger back in.
    [...continues...]

I can't figure out what's wrong with this computer. I changed out the UPS, started reinstalling Windows when it finally let me delete the partition and build a new one, format harddrive, start installing windows, get as far as installing updates, it restarts, then comes up and says video signal not found, check cables, monitor going to sleep now, message.

I changed three cables. Still get same message. Yesterday, I used the onboard video and still get the same message. This morning, I powered up, nothing else connected to it, I get the usual beep noise, doesn't that mean the motherboard is good or that it's seeing the video? Been awhile since I built one that gave me this kind of problems, I can't remember what the beep is for. LOL

I did not go into BIOS and change which video it was supposed to see on boot up, but I thought that wasn't necessary these days. Should I have?

And no, no smart ups. And there was no sound from it. I don't think it's the UPS that is the problem. Because of what happened with just the regular old surge protector doing the same thing with only two things attached, monitor and cable for computer.
    Last edited by photolady95; 11-10-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady95 View Post

I powered up, nothing else connected to it, I get the usual beep noise, doesn't that mean the motherboard is good or that it's seeing the video? Been awhile since I built one that gave me this kind of problems, I can't remember what the beep is for. LOL
    Lifewire > What is a Beep Code?
    On most computers, the motherboard's BIOS produces a single, sometimes double, short beep code as a kind of "all systems clear," an indication that the hardware tests came back normal. This single beep code isn't an issue that needs troubleshooting.
    When a computer first starts up, it runs a Power-On Self Test (POST) and will display an error message on screen if a problem occurs.

However, if BIOS encounters an issue but hasn't booted far enough to be able to display a POST error message on the monitor, a beep code - an audible version of an error message - will sound instead.

Beep codes are especially helpful if the root cause of the problem has something to do with a video. If you can't read an error message or error code on the screen because of a video-related problem, it's definitely going to deter your efforts of finding out what's wrong. This is why having the option to hear the errors as a beep code is so incredibly helpful.
    How to Understand POST Beep Codes

If your computer isn't starting up but is making beeping noises, the first thing you should do is reference your computer or motherboard manual for help translating the beep codes into something meaningful, like a specific issue that's occurring.
    [*][...continues..]

I did not go into BIOS and change which video it was supposed to see on boot up, but I thought that wasn't necessary these days. Should I have?
    Depends on the motherboard. That's what I would try next though. At least to see that the monitor is working ... and maybe reset the BIOS to factory defaults.

And no, no smart ups. And there was no sound from it. I don't think it's the UPS that is the problem. Because of what happened with just the regular old surge protector doing the same thing with only two things attached, monitor and cable for computer.
    What I would do in this case is take it back down to bare bones on a table. Nothing but motherboard (on a non-conductive surface), CPU (w/heatsink), RAM, PSU, video, keyboard and mouse. Now see if it will boot into the BIOS. If not, try different PSU and/or RAM. Once you do get into the BIOS, reset the BIOS to factory default.

Now try running an Operating System (*nix) from a bootable USB flash drive. Exercise it some (web) and then leave it running overnight. If it's still where you left it the night before, power down, hook up your drive with Windows on it and try the same, (exercise it, web, games, whatever), and leave it running overnight. If it's fine the next morning, power down and reassemble everything back in the case. As you continue beyond the bare minimum though, only add one or two pieces of hardware at a time and then test to make sure what was added isn't causing problems. You get the idea ...

Doc I know it's not the monitor because I'm using it right now, hooked up to the laptop.
    Everything else is new except the memory. It's about three years old, used from another computer I built before, that the a power supply blew and took out the motherboard. Could that be a problem?

I've seen a Bestec PSU fail and take out the motherboard and RAM as well.

Are you sure the RAM is 100% compatible? If so, try testing it with Memtest.

I can't do anything tonight. My brains tired. I'll start tomorrow and run memtest. I have the ultimate boot disk I can use for that. And if it's bad, I can get two sticks of corsair 8gb to make 16 to replace what I have in there for $99 right now from newegg.
    I have Corsair in there right now.

Cool, thanks.

My brain must have also been tired. Forget to ask which make and model RAM?

I had to pull a stick to read it, so I could tell you. I bought it a few years ago. My memory's good but it ain't that good. LOL

It's Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 1.5v (ver. 6.22) don't know what that in parenthesis means,
    DDR3 4GB each stick and there are four of them.

I had to pull a stick to read it, so I could tell you. I bought it a few years ago. My memory's good but it ain't that good. LOL

It's Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 1.5v (ver. 6.22) don't know what that in parenthesis means,
    DDR3 4GB each stick and there are four of them.
    I don't see those listed on Gigabyte's "GA-78LMT-USB3 R2" QVL (Qualified Vendors List). However, here is Corsair's list of 100% compatible RAM and Crucial's is here.