Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice on wifi extender

And of course Windows 7 didn't install all the drivers. The ethernet driver was missing so was the sm bus driver. After I got the Ethernet driver installed, I took it to Dell support and had that analyze it and it found and installed all the drivers needed when I accessed it via the service tag.

Now he can do the rest.

Yep, that's one real handy feature of Dell machines. Ethernet not working can often be a hassle. I carry a little USB WiFi so I can connect the machine to my smartphone's hot spot to get the Ethernet working.

Then there is the extra video card he says he installed but the BIOS isn't seeing it

It's a weird BIOS. Never seen anything like it on a Dell computer I've worked on. This is a Dell Optiplex 790. He says he bought an Nvidia card because the Dell didn't have an HDMI. He wanted HDMI to connect to his TV and his monitor doesn't have any other ports other than VGA, but mainly to connect his TV.

His BIOS, under Video only shows something called Multi-display. But nothing about an extra card. No PCI-e or similar.

I'm going to start a thread here in Tech support. Move over there to answer my questions Doc.

Oh and wanted to tell you too. Once he got the printers reinstalled, the app on my phone is only picking up his wifi from the modem now too. Not the printer's wifi. And it's a strong signal, nothing else nearby.

Oh cool! Is it strong enough for you to use? Will he let you use it?

Yeah, it's strong enough now and yes, he'll let me use it. I'll only use it to set up my laser printer though. I'm still going to use the router for the desktop.

Oh ok, got it. I too like wired for internet access. More reliable and secure.

Yeah. I like that too.

And the rest of my day has been fighting with my vehicle insurance agency. dumb nitwits. Finally got them straightened out and I'm paperless notifications, no more extra money when I pay each month cause they send me a paper bill. Now I get notices through email. Yay.

I just filed a claim with PayPal against Newegg. I have not received any emails from Newegg stating they were going to send that modem but they already deduced the money from PayPal. Like I said, I paid for shipping and rush processing, I should have gotten an email saying I had at least ordered something but got nothing from them. There wasn't even an order in my history there.
    In their holiday shipping lists, their first date is December 13, I ordered this one the 8th. When I get my money back from them into PayPal, I'll never order from Newegg again. And I'll wait until the first of January and order a router from Amazon.

Wow, don't blame you a bit. I'd do the same if they jacked me around like that.

At the very least I should have gotten an email yesterday saying I had ordered it. And today I still have nothing in my email from Newegg. If I paid for 3 day shipping I should have gotten it by Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. Especially with rush processing. They ship from numerous warehouses, not just the one in California. Come on, how stupid do they think we are, anyway!