Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on wifi extender

I have no idea right now. It's not listed in Device Manager. And the only time I saw it, was when the net went out. A page would come up asking for email and password when trying to connect to one of my websites I had up.

The reason I asked about the router is I can put it in the living room, not ten feet from the computer. The on the first or a few days later, I can buy enough cat 5 cable to set this up as wired instead of wireless.
    Last edited by photolady95; 01-31-2019 at 07:18 PM.

I thought you might agree!

Well, it happened again this morning, the extender said it needed more information before it could connect me to the net. I went in there and unplugged it from the wall so I could bring it in here to check for a reset switch or button or push something. While I was looking and it was unplugged, my net righted itself and it's picking up my brother's modem/wifi without the use of the extender. Weird, eh?

Sure is. Is the signal strong enough to use or is it fading in and out?

Brother's wifi signal is strong. I took the app you gave me off my phone. And since I unplugged the extender, I don't see a need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Good to hear you now have a strong signal.
    After I reinstalled his Windows 7 and then he installed his printer and set up the wifi the right way, the HP disappeared as the strongest signal. Now his original WIFI is the stronger.

Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well done then eh?
    I have, Doc, I have! I think what he done before was tried to setup wifi without using the USB cable first. Not knowing what he was doing didn't help. LOL

<shaking_head> Don't remind me. Been there, done that.
    Really, Doc? LOL

I had a friend in college that couldn't figure out why her printer wouldn't print. She asked me to look at it and I did. She had both cables connected, the USB and the other one, what ever it was back then. I unplugged the other one, and she was able to print. She thought I was a genius.

Sounds like "the other one" may have been an old parallel port (LPT) cable ... connects to a 25-pin port on the PC end and a 36-pin Centronics port on the printer end?

Yeah, LPT cable. I knew it started with an L but couldn't think of the other two letters. But she had both cables hooked up and couldn't figure out why the printer wouldn't print. I disconnected the LPT one and she could print then. I told her she didn't need both. She said the instructions said "cables" and I said they only mentioned cables, but you only were supposed to use one. LOL