Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on wifi extender

Reason I asked is, I don't have wired to my computer, it's wireless. And without the router set up, I don't think just plugging in the Ethernet cable into the computer then into the printer is going to get the firmware updated.

And unless PayPal decides Newegg is in the wrong and I get to keep this thing Newegg sent me, I can't use it yet. That's why I thought of the extender I did buy and can use.

Yes, I understand why you asked. I simply don't know if it'll work or not. I don't ever remember trying something like that, and I don't have the same hardware available here to give it a try. I suppose someone else out there has probably tried it, I just haven't figured out yet how to get Google to find an answer. To me, it seems like the easiest thing to do would be to just give it try it. I rather doubt if it'll hurt anything. <shrug> Sorry I don't have a better answer right now ...

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Yes, I understand why you asked. I simply don't know if it'll work or not. I don't ever remember trying something like that, and I don't have the same hardware available here to give it a try. I suppose someone else out there has probably tried it, I just haven't figured out yet how to get Google to find an answer. To me, it seems like the easiest thing to do would be to just give it try it. I rather doubt if it'll hurt anything. <shrug> Sorry I don't have a better answer right now ...
    Well, heck, Doc, I thought you knew all things computer. ROFLMAO!!!

Seriously, I'm going to try it and if it don't work, I'll know for sure, I'll let you know then we'll both know.
    Right?

I plugged in the extender and as far as I can tell it picked up the wifi but I don't think the Ethernet port is working with the printer. I could check it with the laptop, that's portable, and has an Ethernet port. Didn't think of that, this morning. Even after coffee I'm still not functioning good. LOL

I'll grab the laptop and see if it works on the cat 5.

Well, I grabbed the laptop and it tells me I have the wrong password again.....grrrr. But it is picking up the cat 5. So that's a good thing. The extender is working.

I'm going to have to try to reset my password again and this time, take the stuff off right away instead of waiting like I did this time.

And done again, now I've bookmarked that help site so I don't have to check back to pages where you put it and I named it Microsoft help for my laptop when it won't let me in again.

And another problem, it reset my password, but on trying to use it, said the password was wrong, so they gave me a new Windows 8.1 product code I have to use to reinstall with now. But I found a service manual for my laptop to pull the harddrive and get the info off it, then I'll do a system restore, hopefully a non destructive one. If not, a full reinstall cause there's nothing on there now after I get my photos off.

Quote Originally Posted by photolady95 View Post

... a full reinstall cause there's nothing on there now after I get my photos off.
    A fresh install would be my choice.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Makes everything nice and clean that way. No junk, no spyware, no bugs of any sort, and all drivers installed. Easy peasy, eh?

Btw, Dell has drivers for this laptop to run Windows 7 on it. I might just do that instead of running Windows 8.1 again. Would make me happier. LOL I hate Windows 8.1.

Sounds like another good plan. Never much cared for 8/8.1, and 10 is too nosy.

Ran into a problem at midnight this morning, net went down, no internet. Problem came up, Netgear Extender wanted a password and I never set one up with that extender. I had no clue what to do to get it back online either. So I waited until Spectrum (our cable connection) came back. Everything is working again now, but I wonder, when it happens again what I'm going to do. So, since PayPal found in favor of Newegg my case against them, I had to pay for the router. Should I just set up the router like I was going to and forget about the extender?

Does the extender have a reset button? If so, press and hold it for however long the instructions say. That should reset to factory defaults.

I couldn't find any buttons on this extender. I looked last night when this happened. It has lights. That's about it.

I checked it out when I bought it to see what all I could do, if something went wacky with it, I didn't find any buttons to push or a way to reset it then either.