Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice on wifi extender

I think I should have kept the router and situated it in the living room, then got wifi from it. There's a ethernet cable in the living room, in the opposite corner from my desk, I could have plugged into that, then got the wifi from there. Think it would have been easier than trying to get the extender to work from the bedroom to where my desk is now.
    Will try the extender, and if that doesn't work, may keep using the laptop until January and order a router again then.

I mentioned to brother about changing things on his printer and his modem, he said no way jose, but I knew he would. So router is next thing to do. Be easier on him and me. Brother sister love wise. LOL Keep the peace, right. LOL

Oh, and guess what I get to do tomorrow? Reload his Windows 7. Yippee!! Not really.

Oh fun! And what, pray tell, is he going to do for you in return?

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Oh fun! And what, pray tell, is he going to do for you in return?
    You're kidding, right? LOL Nothing. He expects me to fix his computer for free but doesn't feel he needs to pay me to do so. I thought about handing him a bill and deducting what I owe him on the down payment on the jeep. But knowing him, he wouldn't accept that either and would think I was the one who was ungrateful. Say what? Family members can be so clueless, at times.

I asked a question at VDR, but decided to just order this instead of waiting.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16833320341

I paid for shipping, just $2.99 for 3 day shipping, and $2.99 for rush processing. And used my PayPal credit. Sold and Shipped by Newegg. So should get it by Wednesday or Thursday and don't have to wait until January to set up desktop.
    In the thread at VDR, I asked if this would work until I could afford something else or until I win the lottery.
    I've never used Asus routers but used about everything else, including but not limited to Netgear, Linksys, Dlink, and TP-link. Not sure about that last one, but a friend bought the last brand about a month ago and I haven't heard any complaints from him about it.

That one's okay. If you have time to cancel the order, you can get one at Walmart for about $20 less: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-RT-A...SABEgJ1s_D_BwE

?

--

As far as your brother goes, why do you "have to" reinstall Windows 7 for him? Tell him to shove his computer where the sun doesn't shine.

That one's okay. If you have time to cancel the order, you can get one at Walmart for about $20 less: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-RT-A...SABEgJ1s_D_BwE

?

--

As far as your brother goes, why do you "have to" reinstall Windows 7 for him? Tell him to shove his computer where the sun doesn't shine.
    Maybe at your wally world, but the wally world we have here, is a mini super center and doesn't carry everything a real super center does. Half the time the shelves aren't even fully stocked and that's all shelves, not just electronics.

As for brother and his computer. Because he doesn't know how to reinstall Windows 7.
    One time, he was going to install XP on a nephew's computer, he got a win98 bootdisk, wiped the harddrive, then installed XP. duh!! I told him all he had to do was boot up with the XP disk in the cd drive, hit any key to boot from it and follow the instructions. That he didn't need to wipe the harddrive first.
    I also told him he could do this with Windows 7 and he insists I do it cause he's afraid he won't get it right. Then if it don't work, he can blame me. That's why I don't really want to do it. I won't screw it up, but it will take more than a day to get it done. I haven't told him that yet. LOL

Walmart has free 2-day shipping on that item.

Your brother is simply being pig-headed, bossy and lazy. One of my nieces has recently re-installed Windows 7 on her laptop ... all by herself. She is roughly 11-12 years old.

Walmart has free 2-day shipping on that item.

Your brother is simply being pig-headed, bossy and lazy. One of my nieces has recently re-installed Windows 7 on her laptop ... all by herself. She is roughly 11-12 years old.
    I'm not sure Walmart accepts my PayPal credit, and if they do, they'd charge me tax.

Yes, I know brother is lazy and bossy, and really pig headed. Always has been, always will be. Can't change that, he's my big brother and thinks he knows everything (well, except computers).

More than likely you're right about Walmart. 1) They don't take PayPal, and 2) yes, they well charge you tax.

For the life of me I do not understand why you allow him to demand that you have to fix his computer? Tell him to fix his own stupid junk. Or, at the very least he could offer to do something of equal value for you in return. It's only fair.

For the life of me I do not understand why you allow him to demand that you have to fix his computer? Tell him to fix his own stupid junk. Or, at the very least he could offer to do something of equal value for you in return. It's only fair.
    He only asks, he doesn't demand. And I waited until his computer was almost completely unusable and he almost begged me to fix it.
    When he first bought this Dell computer he told me, he got a call from Microsoft, no less, who told him they would fix his computer for the life of said computer. I told him Microsoft doesn't do that and whoever he talked to was a scammer. He was adamant that it was Microsoft. I left it at that. No more arguing because I knew I was just beating my head against the wall.

Now he can't install his Brother printer wifi and he can't install the software for his Logitech trackball because the OS is all screwed up. And yes, he's run sfc /scannow, didn't help.
    He says computer doesn't have a restore partition. I don't know, I haven't looked to see if it does or not. I don't know what type of security he has on there either or even if he has attempted to run anything. I know at one time he had Malwarebytes. I don't know if he still does. He also had AVG on there once, but I don't know if he still has that or if he installed Essentials, like I told him to do. He never listens to me. Surprised? not really. LOL

And he bought the computer on fleabay.

Thumbs up

Whew! Sounds like he's treating you a lot better than I was imagining then.

All I had to do was install Windows 7, he will do all the rest. Updates, programs, printers and such. Drivers if needed I will have to do but only if Windows 7 didn't install those. Keeping my fingers crossed it did. Took me all of about 30 minutes to do that.