Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Technically, this isn't a motherboard question but I didn't know where else to put it

Hybrid View

Technically, this isn't a motherboard question but I didn't know where else to put it

Remember the plastic stand offs we used to use in place where there were no metal screw holes but we needed something to balance the motherboard to keep it from touching the base of the case? Do any of you remember them or the mm size of them? I have a micro board in my new desktop and I need some of them. I found a place to buy them but it's the measurements, I'm not sure are the right size of them.

If you could help, I would appreciate it a lot.

Regards,
    photolady, from VDR

I remember them well. Looks like they were a 6.35-6.4 mm standoff distance from the metal case to the bottom of the motherboard. Here's a couple different examples, with dimensions:

Thanks Doc. Do you think these would work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017L9WFZU...re-bullets-btf

You're welcome.

Those would not work without some modification. The description states "Support height(a): 14mm(0. 551 inch" and you need 6.35-6.4mm (.25 [1/4] inch). I suppose you could cut off the bottom but, without the little foot gone I don't know how stable it would be vertically.

If it were me, I'd use something like small pieces of 1/4" thick wood (faucet washers?, something non-conductive) and double-stick tape (or glue) them down to the metal case ... in the correct locations of course.

Thanks again and for the suggestions on what to use otherwise. I used to have those things on hand but don't seem to be able to find them in my goodies bags I have now.

Know what you mean. I looked around here a bit ago as well and couldn't spot any.

You know, you might try using some of those little plastic anchors that you put in a wall or concrete. Snip it off at 1/4"m put it under one of the holes in the motherboard and then run a little normal computer screw down through the hole into the plastic anchor. Might work. <shrug>

I'll look around. I'm sure I can come up with something I can use, without having to buy anything. We techs can do that, now can't we? Always could before, don't see why we can't now too.

Since I refuse to ask my brothers for help, (long story, even longer history) I ordered a package of 100 from that Best Byte place this morning. Cost was 9.38 including shipping. Should be here sometime this week. They're based in Texas so shouldn't take that long to get here. I hope.

I miss you guys. You know, you, Train, GG and all the other older guys who used to hang at VDR. Some died, some just fell off the face of the earth never to be seen or heard of again.

Sorry to hear your brothers are a PITA. My 4 sisters are also a pain ... different kind though. Whenever we all get together they think it's fun to all sit on my lap for a picture. Problem is they, (like me), are NOT so small any more.

Great to hear you won't have to resort to Jerry-rigging supports for that new motherboard. Would hate for something bad to happen to it as well.

I also really miss the old gang and new internet. Good times!

Got an email with tracking number yesterday. The standoffs will be here Friday. Will finish the build later that day into Saturday. Then set up the router I have coming in today with the wifi NIC that goes in the computer, and Brother laser printer to be installed in bedroom, away from main computer.
    The wiring in this house is 60 years old or will be this coming January, and there is no ground on any of the wires. Main box is only a 100amp. Another negative aspect of the house I live in, besides the two brothers. LOL

Careful. Old wiring can be scary, and dangerous. Used to live in a house that had knob-and-tube wiring. If your brother's are also old, scary and dangerous, maybe you could call them Knob and Tube.

Good to hear you'll have all the stuff to get'er dun this weekend. Love doing that kind of stuff. Enjoy! Oh, and best of luck! Keep us posted? ...

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    If your brother's are also old, scary and dangerous, maybe you could call them Knob and Tube.

Good to hear you'll have all the stuff to get'er dun this weekend. Love doing that kind of stuff. Enjoy! Oh, and best of luck! Keep us posted? ...
    Thanks for the suggestion, yeah, they are old too, one just turned 75, the other will be 73 in December. LOL

I'll be sure to keep you posted on it goes. Hopefully no more problems once I get it all back together and the laser printer on wifi in the bedroom, the desktop in the living room.

Oh and btw, I had 8 sisters but only two left now. There were 11 of us when I was born. Now down to five.

Aw man, that is so sad. My condolences.

I'm <500 days from 70 and the oldest of six. Mom and Dad are gone but all of us kids are still kicking.

You know how to tell when you're getting old? When your laptop case now holds all of your prescriptions.

I'm 405 days from 70. And I'm the baby. Dad passed when I was 16, mom when she was 97, I was in my 50s.

And so far, thankfully, I don't take that many pills. Five in the morning, and three in the evening.
    Last edited by photolady95; 10-25-2018 at 12:12 PM.