Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New PSU-PC not starting. CPU-power-adapter-CAPACITOR PLAGUE

Ultimate Member

New PSU-PC not starting. CPU-power-adapter-CAPACITOR PLAGUE

Had a possible short circuit on my Dualcore Asrock AliveDual eSata2.
    Only recognized it later when onboard-connector was looking like burnt.
    I didnt change PSU.

It was only later when i had(or thought i had) a soldering-problem on openly laying MOBO. its sitting on sockets, maybe i had not enough of them and was bent. to make it short now: After changing Videocard(couldnt get replacement fan with the right plug) it was overheating- around 50° C and more. couldnt yet add fan since lacking adapter. Sometimes i had short screen-blackouts(driver-error announced) never had that beforehand.

all of a sudden PC shut down. maybe i had set a temperature limit.
    i changed PSU(Corsair VS650) but couldnt use it since no 4 pin-processor-power-cable.
    now i have an adapter attached to one of the multiple Molex.
    Is that correct? can i attach the adapter to any of the Molex or Sata-Plugs?
    I changed also the MOBO. Yes the one with short circuit i removed. There i am about to exchange the burnt 4pin-connector.
    Also exchange the processor. But dont know if its working.
    Also dont know if that MOBO is working.
    I must also test new Memory. by removing one pair of the 4x4 GB ram 16 B max. installed 6 months ago.
    Yes will get also a new MOBO. Have 3 in total.
    a) with burnt 4pin-connector(Processor-power) No1
    b) working one until recently No2
    c) No3 unknown if working.
    Yes a very efficient processor-cooler was attached.
    Was quite hot recent days. and i didnt use an external big fan.
    MOBO naked outside case, all chips have fans except new videocard. item which had highest temp. 50-54°C speedfan used.
    Will now try with other MOBO which was working properly.
    on the bad one i did soldering on USB and main MOBO-power-connector. see other thread. Power shut down when pressing MOBO down near that location. No i have an additional large socket there. Sockets for Airflow.
    Yes will get another MOBO-copy.

When changing processor and MOBO I allowed not adding thermal compound only to check if pc is starting.
    It was starting and stayed but was like pumping. floppy-light was blinking. maybe really Processor-power-connector. i will switch to a different MOLEX.
    can i measure currency?
    Thanks a lot
    Actual(the one i am now surfing with) PCs AGP-Videocard not supporting 1920 x 1080. very annoying. Winxp
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Update:
    Tested both PSU with the pin 15/16-trick
    a) have-death(possibly) LC6460GP3 is working-fan ok, 12 v on molex ok, 12 v on processor-power-adapter ok. yellow-black-back on molex. hope its correct maybe one black is on position four with leaving out position 3.one black pin was removed from plug. i am sure since i thought i have seen four pin. but one is lacking then inbetween. I will see in the shop will ask for such an adapter anyhow. but new PSU must have the 4-pin-plug!
    b) Corsair VS650 seems dead- fan not rotating only moving a bit!
    Unbelievable! On PC it was rotating but sound was strange as if rotating unregularly.
    Will now get a new one from different source and give PSU back. Then we wil see. Will use new PSU right from scratch with other MOBO.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Situation much more complicated. tried every possible combination on 3 MOBOs. Asrock alive Dual esata2.
    One MOBO is definitively burnt. fuse on a usb-port burnt. pc was not completely off when i shut-down and restarted electricity. And now i know where the problem started. there was an USB-error weeks ago then i couldnt use the keyboard anymore on the sharer.
    No new PSU yet. lost one of the plastic shims for the fan-constructions.
    Hope i can get one more copy. and new PC.
    Struggeled setting up again older Gigabyte 7N400 pro 2. Sata was hanging. then couldnt boot IDE-Drive. is an IDE-PC, sata must run on raid.
    Finally this morning i could make the old IDE--Win7-drive working and running the internet. Did Batteryremoval and default bios-settings with raid.
    But since its an no SSe2-processor some security-SW not working anymore or cant install again. MS Security essentials and Malwarebytes. since AVG and Avast dont work or cannot be installed i am now using clamwin.
    Which alternative to malwarebytes?
    I wonder if its possible to transfer a win7-drive to a newer PC. Will get one, only not yet evaluted. its much more complicated since bank 1 not allowing winxp. But i can execate payments with phablet and replacement device which is now setup for bluetooth. and i will get a second phablet which can do the same-payment confirmations.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    its related to the old Ga-7N400 Pro 2-the one which is currently the only working PC:
    I know now why the problems could occur. Sometimes i had no screen also HDMI-cabled. old connector working....
    MOBO is outside case and videocard is freely sitting on the slot. when i open window i am constantly pushing against it. that lead to contact-failures. bad soldering points. will replace the MOBO and let the repair done by an expert.
    just remembered that when seeing the card hanging in the slot at an angle....that explain also when touching the cable i had a screen-blackout. had to reset PC.
    Will get a new MB of my main Win7-PC-Asrock Alive Dual eSata2. it sitting one floor below on sockets. the old one on a frame with fan beneath. adventurous construction.
    But i had quick access over all the years.
    New highspeed PC will sit in a case thats certain!
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    maybe SATA-drive not seen related to partly defective AGP-contacts. will replace Gigabyte-MOBO asa ASROCK is here and working.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Update-Old PC

Could reactivate old Winxp PC-Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2 by replacing MOBO.
    Was very complicated since i didnt take notes when i first installed one.
    Ide will only be visible when gigabyte-Ata-Raid is running and with the right 80pin cables.
    Had to remove battery and set default.
    Next is reactivating SATA-drive which must be repaired.

Since SATA-drive is not detected during Windows-CD-Repair-installation i would certainly need Sata-driver during start up right?
    Was succesfull earlier with defective Winxp-Drives when attaching to other Winxp-system. But i have no alternative PC now. maybe better waiting till new ASRROCK Alive Dual eSata2-MOBO is here. there i have beside Win7-64 also Winxp-drives.
    Asrock also need a new PSU with 4 pin processor-plug. or/and new adapter to try out what was wrong.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    another incident: cmos-battery drained...on Gigagyte 7N400 Pro2. its a universal Sata-IDE-Raid board.
    AND: Bootdrive must be set to SCSCI! if i only had remembered.
    btw: Firefox only up to version 48.02 since above only processers with SSE2 are allowed.
    And Internet is slow. Firefox crashed. maybe also to 52° C processor-temperature. could cool down Videocard to 40°C.
    maybe also due to addon-remains.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Ga-7N400 Pro 2- at every boot harddisk(IDE) fail-Elko defective?

Sicne every time after i exchanged battery by a new one on boot its telling: harddisk fail. Must the ELKO be exchanged?
    I will now leave the PSU on and check. i will resolder eventually cold soldering point of battery-case. good MOBO is laying outside case.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    soldered both elko nearby cmos-battery and battery-cage.
    But i seems not the cause of the fails. GA-7N400 Pro 2 has many secrets what must be set to make an ide-drive running at IDE1. it has IDE1 till 4!
    It seem both raid-controllers at least the Gigabyte Onboard one must be seen and set. and SCSI must be set and ATA-raid.
    Have not really yet found out in which order all these must be set to show IDE-drive at start.
    Next i will prepare floppy for SIL 3512 controller to make Systemrepair of other SATA-drive possible, maybe it will start from alone.....Neverending stories with PCs during the last decades!
    Winxp now with newest possible Firefox-only up to 48.02 for SSE2-processors. Clamwin the only working Antivirus. And Internet (despite having highspeed)now terrible slow like never before with this PC.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Reactivated old MOBO and Internet access with WLAN

Sorry for complicated thread but its about two PCS. newer ASROCK alive dual esata2(dualcore) and Gigabyte 7N400Pro2 Ver.2.0(have also ver. 1.0). Have multiple MOBOs.
    Will get one more ASROCK today.
    SUCCESS after almost 3 weeks struggling with multiple MOBOs and testing equipment. one of the GAs even had cmos-clear pins removed.
    There were multiple defective parts. I am now on the very first one. its seem i killed PCI-slots. and LAN seems also not to work thats why i am on WLAN-stick now.
    The GA has now a main problem which others confirmed. If changing drives -could only make IDE-drive run-one must remove battery for 30 seconds other wise cmos cannot hold specifications. it seems capicitors must be replaced. And running SATA-drive not working anymore. on other than the actual MOBO i could see ITE-raid and onboard-Raid-drivers in cmos. will ask the experts in Gigybyte-forum of UK.
    This GA-MOBO is quite slow even on very quick internet.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

GA-7N400Pro2 -Secrets

1. found out thanks to main pc-supplier, that 4x4-pin-connnectors can be seperated. Will now use my new modular psu for new x99 later.
    2. this thread was originally for ASROCK Alive Dual eSata2. It still is since i didnt yet complet installation of new-used MOBO.
    but since my older GA-7N400 Pro2 Vers.2.0(also have 1.0) is backup and also stopped working i must mention the workarounds here.
    GA is an IDE-SATA-Raid Universal Board. For Sata-drives SATA-ATA-Raid must be used. chip is Silicon image.
    a) couldnt make SATA-drives run again. There are a lot of people having the same problem. but this was 10 years ago. Have no found this workaround:
    Its about the two BIOS and wrong flashing tool..... and blaming GA for using SIL and not promise etc.
    https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...d103uj.194054/
    Actual problems were also Bios not finding even IDE-drives, above all when changing drives. I have my PC outside case for easy access.
    Only was struggling over 3 week to find a working MOBO(have multiple copies of both model). And there were some hardware-problems. Halfdefective PSU, had to replace a an obviously defective capacitor. but how good are the remaining onese.
    In my opinion these old ones are the reason BIOS is not working properly. regarding recognizing IDE-drives maybe also sata.
    Thought i found the right way what to do when switching IDE-drives yesterday when a stupid electricity-man of foreign language shot power down(me warning him pc is on).
    His collegues warned me and i communicated in my language. for the second one-THE IDIOT-i only found out later that he is understanding french.
    So after restarting PC 320-ide will not be recognized anymore and i have no solution. beforehand i thought i had an easy solution:
    Removing battery for 30 min. and setting fail-prove-settings in BIOS etc. and restart without changing anything. and coming back to BIOS and adusting settings.
    Will now check through USB if Drive is accessible.
    500 ide WD5000AAKB is recognized without problems but not WDAAJB.
    I am swimming in dark PC-Waters!
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Some also replaced a newly programmed BIOS-chip!
    https://www.biosflash.com/Bios-Chips...-2-2598.htm#up

Newest SIL(Silicon Image)-drivers were wisely deposited here:
    https://www.biosflash.com/Bios-Chips...-2-2598.htm#up
    I will use 1.0.62.0 second from top for winxp.
    And i will only start flashing until my second pc-Asrock Alive Dual eSata2 is running again!
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

high temperatures slowed down PC-Gigabyte 7N400Pro2

could cut down temperatures of CPU and GPU down to 45 and 33° C. CPU was up to 54. Motherboard monitor showing CPU and other undefined temp.and Speedfan GPU.
    Would like to see also HDD-temperature other than in Bios. was 44° C right after start.
    have now a cooler box from freezer ontop of it with a water-absorbing layer inbetween.
    could not make Speedfan be loaded during start.
    Was discussed earlier. didnt yet find the trigger. despice a lot of advises. Winxp- non SSE-processor. some tools are not working.
    Last edited by europanorama; 07-21-2018 at 09:58 PM.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

Unbelievable surprise: other bootdrive accessible as slave

On old Gigabyte 7N400 pro 2-actually my very first one which has some defective functions-i could "revive" a 320HDD which was on when stupid electrician cut the power despite me telling PC was on... he didnt know german...and didnt tell me.
    1. i had troubles accessing drives when switching from one to the other. had to remove battery and wait 30 min.
    Tried everything i knew to make it bootable again. fail-it will not be recognized anymore at start.
    i have set now scsi and raid-setting base and ata. will try with HD0.
    So i decided to check if i can access data when set as slave. WORKS!
    It seems i have really a capacitors failure. maybe had power off but battery/capacitor could not hold data again.
    I will try to get a fresh working MOBO.
    Second Asrock alive Dual eSata 2 is on the way to work on tuesday.
    Since i had power-shutdown when i touched the board-earthing-cable on new PS-connector( 3 phases) i switched the earthing cable to the heating. both pcs on the same cable. could be the problem was due to the fact that i didnt use a screw to fix the cable. it was laying loose around the opening.
    I will not risk my only booting IDE-drive on GA-7N400 Pro2 on a next power-shutdown. i thought it earthing would compensat electrostatic discharge.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

SUCCESS-UNBELIEVABLE- WIN7-64-PC working again

Its unbelievable: After long 5 weeks struggling with two nonworking PCS, Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 and Asrock Alive Dual eSata2, i could finally find the main problem of today: pc starting but no image.
    I know earlier i replaced multiple Cmos-Battery-holders. topcontact was nonworking. repaired it but i will replace it.
    During start played with screen-switch, pulling it multiple times until start-screen was visible!
    I bought two new PSU:
    1. Corsair VS650
    was starting but produced pulsing-like behaviour on the fans and led-light(floppy). maybe defective old PSU "killed" MOBO. and halfdefective MOBO killed PSU.
    was using molex-4-pin-adapter since pc-shop-expert showed me how to seperate 4+4-pin-connector......
    Will not check PSU again with working PC since there i am using modular
    Corsair CX 650M.
    I tested three MOBO Asrock Alive Dual eSata2. and also the processor i received with new used board without success.
    Since i have 2x2 mb Ram i will build a third PC for checking VS650.
    Hurra for my main PC.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch