Thread: Unclear rules for Win7-DVD-version. Volume-DVD-Which version do i need?

Ultimate Member

Unclear rules for Win7-DVD-version. Volume-DVD-Which version do i need?

Received a key for Win7-64-installation. inkl free DVD. It was only after installation and much later when i Microsoft found out the key-version cannot be certificated(Echtheitszertifikat).
    But an EU-rule told the opposite.
    the first time on my SSD i received a replacement-key and everything seems ok.
    Since i made a system-copy on a HDD with the old key-MS now also mentioned i cannot use this key. Seller told its tested and dont know what to do. first time MS explained personally what the "facts" are.
    Had a hardware-defect(defective soldering-point(s) and had to cold-shut-down Win7. no screen visible.
    First Win7-installation made on HDD, originally meant for data only. have only found out later that SSD can only boot from slow-slot. But it can be recognized with hotplugging after system already had booted.
    Which win7-64 version do i need if a want to make multiple copy on the same PC? Have Ultimate -version now.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    was: 3DMarspanoramas
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Have now two retail-keys. PID-tool said (one is checked) its a valid key.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...d_checker.html

1. can i now exchange the nonvalid-key?
    2. can i use it to make more installations on my pc? onl HDD/SSD will be changed. How when videocard had to be changed?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Microsoft PID checker telling all keys(4) are valid. also the only one which MS has blocked...
    they are all retail.
    can i use them to install multiple HDDs/SSDs with only one key on the same PC?
    BTW: since authenfication is not yet confirmed desktop turned black.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    Maybe only cloning is working? thats why i asked elsewhere how to synch favourites. solution(FF-addon) found.

https://www.tenforums.com/installati...-computer.html
    remember: MS told its a volume version. and MS PID checker tells they are all retail versions. dont know the difference. or is it the same?
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member
    I have the command how to exchange the key.
    is it better to use the key-removal command?
    thank you very much.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

Ultimate Member

SOLVED

Solved with a valuable Key. Have now two different keys on a system of two Platters(SSD and HDD) which should have identical ones. Now i must save both systems independantly. maybe thats the best way.
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch

I am glad you got this solved. I am not sure if any different rules apply in the EU but here things can get complicated. Each MS key has a limited number of times it can be activated. This is why the super low cost keys are a bad idea. You should always be sure to buy from a proper retail channel.

OEM systems (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc...) have a license stored in their BIOS. This will activate Windows on the system when using the branded (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc..) Windows DVD.

System Builder keys can be purchased at a retail site but must stay with the same computer they were last activated on. You cannot move these between systems and a change like a motherboard and processor upgrade will invalidate the key. A repair does not invalidate the key because you use the same hardware.

It seems that retail keys can be reactivated after 6 months to one year. This allows you to upgrade your system and still retain your retail key. If you build a system and a component fails right away MS will allow you to activate over the phone after explaining what happened to the new system.

Business keys - called Volume license - come in two formats. The first is Multi-Activation Key or MAK. There is a limited number of activation (say 50) and once that limit is hit the key is invalid. The other activation is a Key Management Server or KMS. With KMS I buy a server code form Microsoft and set up a special server. That allows me to activate Windows and Office - all activations are local preventing the issues you were seeing in my business environment.
    -- Mathias

Ultimate Member
    good you have cleared that. seller didnt respond anymore.....
    www.stereopan.org
    underreconstruction
    3Daeropanorama
    3DVideos
    www.3dmedia.ch
    www.3dmusic.ch