Thread: Dual O/S on 2 partitions.

Dual O/S on 2 partitions.

I have one I can't solve but need two. I have an older H.P. 9700 Intel entertainment laptop that came with Vista installed on the primary drive and it works great (works a treat if your a Brit). The original install of Vista partitioned the H.D. into 2 partitions, primary and the second just restore. I reduced the primary and enlarged the second and reformatted it so it's clean. Part Magic shows it's "A" O.K..
    Here is my dilemma, I use Vista on the PC and it works O.K. but by necessity I have to have Win 2000 installed for a camera software tethering program (shooting birds remotely) with the laptop. I have a fairly large partition NTSF (100gb) that is unused, clean but Vista will not let me install Windows 2000 on the empty partition. Whenever you try to install W2K a menu comes up and says the O/S is older than the one I have and it shuts off the PC.
    I have researched everything I can find to see if I can defeat the INSTALL objection to installing a Dual boot system with both O/S's on the H.D.
    Does anyone know a "defeat" that simply lets me install 2 different O/S's on this PC
    If I try to start the PC and install the Win 2K disks the PC stops me with the same message. I've tried slip streams etc. but all the same and MS is no help, all they tell me to do is buy a newer distro. H.P. is no help as they don't even offer drivers for W2k for this PC, I did find the bootlegs though. I've used dual boot on dozens of PC's but this one has me baffled, I think it's only indigenous to Vista. In fact this PC I'm using is XP and 7 with no install problem.
    I need someone smarter than me to tell me how to defeat the Vista lock on installing an older O/S. I could install W2k ONLY on it a s a primary O/S but then I lose the ability to do other things with Vista like 64 bit programs so I would prefer dual boot.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

One important item I forgot in the post. If I install W2K first on the second partition and then install Vista as I do with XP and & then Vista automatically repartitions the partition I created and formats it as a recovery only. That is the only way I can install the factory restore CD's. for Vista, it does everything without asking.

Google-> EasyBCD

It's a boot loaded program that will probably solve your problem.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

Hi Steve, long time away I know. I use EastBCD but it won't help me if I can't get the O/S installed on the H.D. and Vista won't let me load W2K. Thanks I'm sure there was a legitimate reason for them to block other O/S's with Vista. I have many PC's running XP and 7, 8, 10, it just seems to be either an oversight or maybe they were trying to be TOO protective. It didn't help when they didn't put SATA drivers in the installation CD's until Vista, W2K doesn't have them and you have to install W2K with floppy disks.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Use 2 hdds, disconnect the Vista one, install w2k, Hook Vista back up , boot to is and NOW use EasyBCD.

Since your vista is a factory clone, you will never be able to do what you can with a retail disk. I also suggest getting a refurbish computer that has PATA instead of SATA so you can get around the lack of SATA drivers. Maybe set the BIOS to IDE/Legacy will help.

Possible help
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23...2000-sata-disk

https://www.google.com/#q=w2k+sata+driver

Bill - dual booting has always worked best when the oldest OS is installed first. (that would be win 2k in this case)

If Train's ideas don't work - you could try installing VirtualBox and then install Win 2k inside that.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."