Thread: Add-on video card help

Question Add-on video card help

Hi all. I got my hands on a HP Compaq 6200 Pro SFF (Core i3 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM). This PC is about 4 years old but my current PC is about 7(+) years old. The specs on this HP are a good bit better and I'd really like to find a graphics card that'd work in it and replace my old PC with this less old PC. It does have a PCIe x16 slot and the case is half height so it'd have to be a low profile card. The video card in my current PC is a Radeon HD 6600 with 1 or 2 GB RAM (can't remember the type - GDDR something or other maybe).

A huge problem with the HP is that it has the stock power supply, a 240W one. I need to find either a video card that's as good or better than my current one, that I can get low profile, that doesn't require external power, and that will work with this 240W power supply, or I need to find a replacement power supply that'll fit in this HP case that offers more power.

I really don't want to go the route of cannibalizing parts from the HP (the processor and the RAM specifically) because I'm not interested in building a PC, but I will if it just won't be possible to get my hands on a video card that will fit in the HP, work with the 240W power supply, and provide at least a little bit better graphics than the Radeon I'm currently using.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Gut it and stick the components in a larger case.