Thread: NAS and this chromebook

NAS and this chromebook

Hi, I just picked up a Toshiba CB35-B3340 Chromebook 2 and found out that it's not able to access my Seagate goflex home network drive. I bought a Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter thinking that would do it but, sadly, it did not work. I talked with the video help woman who said if it did not appear in the list of devices (I am still not conversant in chrome speak) then its not supported. Is there a workaround or something?

PS- I tried posting in the data storage section but I couldn't read any posts for some reason, only the 1st message would show. Anyway thanks for the help.
    I am trying not to make
    the same mistake twice, again.

I don't have much experience with ChromeOS or Seagate network drives, but I'll give it a shot.

What is the exact model number of the Seagate drive?

Did you check for any Android apps to connect to the Seagate? ChromeOS is closer to Android than any other Linux distro. If there is an Android app, you can try installing that.

I bought a Linksys USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter thinking that would do it but, sadly, it did not work.
    Unless it had a ChromeOS driver, it wouldn't have worked. Maybe if it had a Linux driver, but even that might not be compatible. I don't think network connectivity is the problem anyway.

There is an app for android os but there was no obvious way to install it on the chromebook. The drive didn't have a model number that I could find. But its full name is Seagate Free Agent Goflex Home. It has a rj5 connector ans a usb port. I'll have to dig up a usb cable and try that, but I'm not optimistic at this point. I did some looking around at seagate but couldn't find anything relevant, I'll go back and look again.
    This is my first go-round with a chromebook and I feel like I did when I first joined sysopt a few years ago. A little lost and confused.
    When I bought the chromebook I just figured it would be able to access whatever was on my home network. Then I figured since it will access usb drives I'd get that usb adapter and off we'd go. No good, I plugged the cat 5 into the adapter and then into the chrommie and nothing.
    Thanks.
    I am trying not to make
    the same mistake twice, again.

There should have been a model number like STAM2000100.

How familiar are you with Android or Linux? ChromeOS is supposed to be able to run Android apps.

If you are going to connect it directly to USB, then you shouldn't need an app. ChromeOS supports NTFS drives.

When I bought the chromebook I just figured it would be able to access whatever was on my home network. Then I figured since it will access usb drives I'd get that usb adapter and off we'd go. No good, I plugged the cat 5 into the adapter and then into the chrommie and nothing.
    Thanks.
    Again, ChromeOS is Linux. It would still need drivers for hardware.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Storage devices

• USB hard drives and thumb drives
    • USB CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives (read-only)

May need to do this
    https://developer.chrome.com/apps/app_usb