Thread: Did somebody throw out the baby with the bathwater?

Did somebody throw out the baby with the bathwater?

yoooohooooo!

What happened to all the old Off-Topic greeting posts? How am I supposed to check in on old members without those threads we were all subscribed to now?

Edit: scratch that, I found them! just needed to adjust the search parameters.
    Last edited by Strawbs; 06-26-2015 at 07:44 PM.

Hey hey, this forum used to be so active! None sense and all. Feels like a ghost town now doesn't it? Hi Strawbs, how's life been? *S*
    Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-b astard cream there is not..

Hey Fancy. hope you're keeping well.

To be honest, I'm not surprised the Forums went quiet ...fast computers got cheaper to buy than build. I built my last system in 2004, and moved to Laptops in 2006\7. Only ever needed to upgrade HDD &\or RAM in those, so no need to seek advice really.

I sometimes miss the banter we used to have on the forums though and pop back every so often to hark back to those days.

Sup, Strawbs?

Yeah, Virtual Dr stole a lot of traffic from here. Besides that, we had the "bad capacitor" problems back in the early "oughts", which got resolved. Windows 7 really put the last nail in because MS finally made another great OS. Apple and the tablet revolution haven't (have?) helped.

I built my current PC in 2009 with Midknight's advice and am still running that installation of Win7 on it thanks to True Image saving my **** a few times. It's still quick enough. When it isn't, I'll pop in an SDD. The massive Lian Li server case can accomodate pretty much anything. My next purchase will, however, be a Dell laptop I'm sure.

I was thinking of retiring and buying a Mac.

Nah! Windows and PCs are just too much fun and challenge.
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 07-21-2015 at 03:23 PM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Good evening all'.................... I finally cracked ND's handle......... North Dakota! hehe............ gone but not forgotten.
    During deep sleep IT came to me and the future of processing is clear.
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Unt4.jpg Still earning clicks...
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

LOL.

ND is in oil country? Good on him!
    MS MCP, MCSE

Can be nothing else.............. The land of Sitting Bull........... He logged out long time............ look him up? He's a good guy. Must be a clue in his reg. Regards........... He would not give up that handle and it used to drive me nuts. You know me with a mystery and the horse in a tree

Be well.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Honestly, I don't like looking up old buddies 'cause if they don't write back, I get a case of the "negatives". I hate thinking the worst, ya know?

I miss when we could just look up members from a list.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Hiya Bill & Hero.

Apologies for not replying sooner guys, and no need to think the worst Bill. it's not a case of not wanting to speak, more a case of finding time these days. I did start a reply two days ago, but was called out to work before I got to post it and then forgot.

I hope you're doing well, and I'm glad to see you're still on the SysOpt team.

Since my wife got into computing I found out she's one of those people that can't touch a computer without it breaking - I think she carries a lot of static! so I bought her her own laptop and she still managed to blue screen it almost every time she used it. I got fed up of forever reinstalling Windows because she'd downloaded some **** that screwed with the registry, so in this house we've gone to the "dark side" and all got MacBooks. That's 2xMacBook Pro's for me and my Son, and a MacBook Air for her! Life is a lot more peaceful than it was with Windows I can tell you ...it's like Steve Jobs used to say; "it just works" ...with most things at least, and she hasn't managed to harm it in 8 months of ownership ...ReeeZult!

I wouldn't go back to Windows now if Gates offered me his shares in Monsanto FOC.

Hey Hero, Good to hear you're still around.

You guys might want to post something in Here or Here if you're trying to rally the troops - never know, you might even get a reply from Uke.

Be good and stay healthy.

Yeah, my mentor in this field went over to Apple long ago. I can't blame him. People gotta live and requests for tech support at 10pm really wear you out.

Good to see you too as well, Strawbs.

You know, I have 4 hard drives in this rig and two externals. I have 3 spares lying around for emergencies. So, with this motherboard fading fast, I have 2 choices:

1. Rebuild this pig and make use of my resources for about $700.

2. Buy a Dell refurb and get a half-height GPU. Donate the spare drives to needy immigrants.

Sigh. Looks like another rebuild!
    Last edited by BipolarBill; 07-27-2015 at 10:20 AM.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill View Post
    Honestly, I don't like looking up old buddies 'cause if they don't write back, I get a case of the "negatives". I hate thinking the worst, ya know?
    I sent two very long term friends I went to high school with a message on Facebook. Never heard back from either one. Heck, one of them I introduced to his wife.... Maybe I should send her a message... Heaven forbid I send a friend request
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

That sux. Guys are not so good about using Facebook, I find. I like it, but I don't spend a lot of time using it. I mostly respond to other's posts and messages.

What I really fear most when seeking old friends is finding out that someone died. That floors me. Luckily(?), you really can't know that most times. They just don't respond and it could be for any reason. So, best to let sleeping dogs lie, eh?
    MS MCP, MCSE

*S* oh that's smile..
    Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-b astard cream there is not..