Thread: Partion and Closter Size for speed

Partion and Closter Size for speed

I am using a Sata 64tb hard drive, WD Black, 64 bit. I want to have 4 partitions. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro. I'm using the most recent Acronis DiskDirector and True Image 15. The following is how I would like to partition:
    1. Cluster - this drive will only have 400 files with a size of 359349 byte. the files all within 15% of the average. They are scanned images. Nothing else will ever be in this partition. Speed is critical in this partition. I have to more 400 files into this directory and rename every file. I then these files into a backup location and repeat the process. I am uncertain to what cluster size to use.

2. Partition Size. When creating a partition is there a rule of thumb as to how much extra space should be available on the drive? I have heard that 10% would not be a good bet. But then 50% would be an overkill.

3. Would there be a problem with creating 5 partitions based on the above drive?

4. Best Performance With Partition or Directories:
    with the 5 partitions I might have one of the placebo dri with a huge number of files. I might only go into this directory 10 times a day. While one of the other partitions, see "2", 150 to 200 times a day. The remaining drives would be used 10 to 30 times a day.

I'm trying to a better understanding on getting the most performance out of my drives. . I currently have 8 drives on my system and I'm thinking I'm going to be better off for performance, to use 3 drives.
    1. C Drive an SSD (totally understand I will need to back up constantly)
    2. D Drive would be as described above. 4tb
    3. E Drive would be mostly a backup system. 6tb WD Black

I hope you can help me with this.
    Bob

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Even small files tend to larger over the years. So make folders and place items, such as backups,in them instead of partitions.
    Cluster size
    http://www.howtogeek.com/136078/what...en-formatting/

If speed is a factor, why don't you put the 400 files in a folder on the SSD? That would be the fastest. Cluster size doesn't impact performance as much as SSD vs HD.

You need at least 15-20% to defrag the drive. I don't see why 50% is overkill. You always need to plan for data growth.

I think folders would be more efficient than multiple partitions.