Thread: No Sound on Old PC

No Sound on Old PC

I have an old PC tower, same one as when I 1st registered for this site. Have upgraded (maxed) everything the only bits that remain that are original are the mobo and case. I know I should get a new one but I dont believe in dumping stuff that still fullfill their function and I only need it to run office and brouse the net which its more than capable of doing.

I think this is a drivers/pci slot/ interupt problem

PC was connected to the net via ethernet (pci as onboard bust ages back), then we moved house and missus would not let me run ethernet cables all over, so went wireless, eventually got it to work and at this point sound was working (had removed ethernet card). Connection as pretty **** due to metal beams all over house and a work collegue suggested homeplug. Bought one re-connected ethernet pci card, and sound went off, and i have been unable to get it back.

card is a soundblaster pci card

am sure you will need more tech info but have not done this stuff in ages so not sure what programs to run these days (the ones that say what you system contains)

system says its working correctly (device in xp), suspect its a pci problem
    P4 2.8Ghz
    xp pro 2002 service pack 3
    2gig ram
    SB Audigy SB live 24 bit

By far the simplest fix is to use Windows System Restore to roll back Windows to a point in time when your computer was functioning correctly. It allows you to undo system changes without affecting your personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos.

If that doesn't help, try restoring an earlier system image or backup.

earlist restore point seems to be 8th june 2014, am certain this issue is older than that, have been meaning to try and sort for a while....

Wouldn't hurt to try. 1) Create a new restore point, 2) restore the old one and test, if it didn't fix it, 3) restore the restore you just made.