Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: error code problems

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Darn it, I was hoping. . .
    Yea so was I.

I got lucky also. It didn't take out the high priced CPU. I installed it into the MSI board and she booted to bois. No error codes on boot up eather. I did this with the on board video. Then I installed the TI 750 video card. It booted up with no error codes agin. I then installed the second 2 four gig sticks of meory I have. The board booted up with no error codes agin. The bios showed the correct amount of memory also.

So tomorrow morning after work I'll mount this board on the back plate and go threw this agin.

Thats all the good news. The bad news is my wife had a cleaning spree on my other two work nights earlyer this week. She pitched the box and manual for this mother board. I haven't found a online manual for it yet. I sent a email to MSI seeing if I can get a replacement manual.

All I need is the pin outs for the on button/HDD light and so on.
    Last edited by Philip1952; 03-29-2014 at 09:10 AM.

The MSI H87-G43 manual is available on MSI's site: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/H87G43.html#/?div=Manual. The JFP1, JFP2: System Panel Connectors are shown on page 1-24.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    MSI, then Gigabyte are my prefered brands. And they both, are real good of keeping their manuals online.

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the link. I missed it when I was looking around MSI's website.

I have the box back together. It looks like the SSD got hit when that power supply died. It will boot to windows. It takes about 1 minute to do that. When you try to do anything that requires access to the HDD. The computer just almost locks up. Task manager just shows not responding. I have tried to do a repair from the windows disk. It will load the windows files. It goes to the blue screen with the leaf and bird and nothing else. The HDD light is on solid all the time.

So its not looking promising for the SSD.

Ultimate Member
    Heres another update.

This morning I just droped the windows 7 CD back in and told it to do a repair. Then I went off and did other things. It threw a blue screen on my.

Stop eorror 0X0000007F

Listed as ataport.sys= address FFFFF880017DEF4A base aT FFFFF880017D3000. Date stamp 4ce79293

I found a couple of tech sheets about this error. One was from MS. The issue I have is I can't access the CD rom or anything from windows. It just locks up.

I am trying another repair. So far it has been going for 5 hours. The HDD light has stayed on constant the whole time.

I am no up on SSD that much. Is there any way to erase the current info and do a fresh reload???

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    That's right there is a high possibility of a corrupted RAM on the computer.

Since you have re-installed the Operating System, that is sure issue lies with hardware.

Cause of this error:
    This error message can occur if either of the following conditions exists:
    • Your computer has hardware or software problems (hardware failure is the most common cause).
    • You try to over clock the speed of your computer's processor (for example, you set a 150 MhZ processor to run at 187 MhZ).

The above STOP error means a trap occurred in kernel mode and the trap is either one the kernel is not allowed to have or is always fatal. The most common causes of a STOP 0x7F are:
    • Low-level hardware corruption, such as corrupt memory (RAM)
    • Mismatched memory modules
    • A malfunctioning motherboard

Resolution:
    To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method:
    • If either software or hardware can cause a particular trap, a debug is required to determine which is the cause. If you suspect a hardware problem, try the following hardware troubleshooting steps:

1. Sincde you have checked the RAM in the computer by running the diagnostic software that is provided by the computer manufacturer. Replace any RAM that is reported as bad. Also, make sure that all the RAM in the computer is the same speed.

2. Try removing or swapping out controllers, cards, or other peripherals.

3. Try a different motherboard on the computer.
    • If you are over clocking the speed of your processor, set it back to the speed at which it is designed to run.
    • Check with the hardware vendor for any updated hardware drivers or BIOS updates, or both.
    BIOS Disclaimer:
    Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can
    causeserious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot
    guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

4. Try removing the graphics card and then check if you get the error message, If the error still exists that means this is occuring because of a faulty RAM.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-2809002c9593

Ultimate Member
    I tried the repair agin last night with the on board video only. No other cards in the box. I had 2 sticks of corsair 1300 memory. After 7 hours the repair program came back and said it couldn't repair the install.

I can't get it to boot from a USB stick for memtest. I'll burn a CD tomorrow morning and start testing agin.

I'll tell you this. I am just about to the point of throwing everything thing away and starting over. This build has been a nightmare. Its just about worn out my last known good nerve.

Have you tried running a bare-bones setup outside of the case?

1. Remove EVERYTHING from the case.

2. Place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface, such as cardboard (motherboard box) or plywood. Do *-NOT-* place the motherboard on the anti-static bag! It can actually conduct electricity.

3. Install the CPU, thermal grease and heat sink. (Intel Guide / AMD Guide)

4. Install 1 RAM module (stick).

5. If applicable, install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.

6. Connect the monitor to the video output.

7. Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24-pin main ATX power connector and the separate 4- or 8-pin power connector.

8. Connect a power lead from the power supply to the power connector on the CPU fan.

9. Connect power to the power supply.

10. Do NOT connect ANYTHING else.

11. Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. When you momentarily touch both pins with a screwdriver, it will complete the circuit and boot the system.

With any luck the system should power up and you should get a display. If so, assemble these same parts into the case and try booting once again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system did not boot up, more often than not, you have a faulty component. Start swapping parts until you determine which one is defective. Best bet would be to start with the power supply.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    When test the ram, test with both, and do not forget to test each one by itself.
    Any red means bad ram.

memtest86-bad-ram.png
    Last edited by Train; 04-02-2014 at 01:49 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Ok time to get back to this box.

I'll list everything I have done to date.

I have booted the board into bios setting on a bench. It will boot to bios with the built in video or the Ti 750 video card. I have testedd both sticks of corsair memery. I have tested as single sticks and dual stick configuration. All tests showed no problems with the memory. The L1/L2/L3 caches on the mother board showed good also. Memtest showed no problems on any test I did.

After all the above tests. I mounted the mother board on the back plate. Then ran the tests agin. Everything still shows good. I am running on board video after mounting the board. I did install the TI 750 to test. But I removed it after the board booted.

After this round of tests. It still was thorwing blue screens. I down loaded OCZ's tool box app. I installed the SSD in my XP box. I used secure erase and wiped the drive. I have reloaded windows 7 now. So far no blue screens I can access the cd- rom now. I just got all the drivers installed. Time for a 500 meg update down load.

Ultimate Member
    Well I was wrong on the 500 meg update down load. It came in at 1 gig by the time it was over.

Everything seems to be working fine. No issues seen until I went to hook that striker fan control panel back up. Is seems to have issues. If I only turn on two fans no problems. If I turn on more then it starts throwing error beeps till that fan is turned off. I was looking the control board over. Its got sloppy soldering, looks like a few cold joints, some sort of dryed liquid flux over everything.

Do you have a suggestion on a good fan controller? I prefer manual controller type.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    I just see those contoller boards as more trouble than they are worth. Sorry, but that is my thoughts about them.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    I just see those contoller boards as more trouble than they are worth. Sorry, but that is my thoughts about them.
    After burning out the built in fan ports on a couple of boards. I have been leary of using them anymore.

I am currently running the kingston memory threw its tests. So far they have tested good as singles. I am running the dual configuration tests as we speak. As singles they tested good.

I also want to say thank you for all the help on this problem.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    You are Welcome. Hope for the best!