Thread: Replace Motherboard using existing hard drive???

Ultimate Member

Question Replace Motherboard using existing hard drive???

I am working on an HP Pavilion P6157c desktop which appears to have a bad motherboard (Pegetron M2M78-LA). Some of the capacitors are bulging which I have not seen in awhile.

My question: Since everything else tests as good, can replace the mobo with another of like socket, plug everything in, and have the OS (Win 7 home Premium) automatically replace the drivers with those needed by the new mobo?? In other words, I do not want to buy a new copy of W7 since there is already one on the computer. Unfortunately, there are no recovery disks.

What is the wosrt that can happen???

Thanks much - JMHCS

You'll probably get BSODs because the HAL will change. You'd probably have to do a repair install at least.

Even if you had the recovery discs (which you're supposed to make when you buy the system), they wouldn't work on a new motherboard. HP recovery looks for the motherboard "tattoo". If the tattoo doesn't match, it won't allow a restore.

Ultimate Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    You'll probably get BSODs because the HAL will change. You'd probably have to do a repair install at least.

Even if you had the recovery discs (which you're supposed to make when you buy the system), they wouldn't work on a new motherboard. HP recovery looks for the motherboard "tattoo". If the tattoo doesn't match, it won't allow a restore.

Thanks for your reply. I sort of suspected as much so will go the proper route. Just trying to save a buck.

JMHCS