Thread: Super computer ?

Super computer ?

Hey Ya' all,
    Years ago someone mentioned connecting a bunch of older computers together to make a super computer.......I never got excited enough to find out...After all my quad core is super enough for me.....
    The subject come up again so here I am asking the smartest people I know...
    Is it possible to hook computers together to make a faster or super computer or is this a pipe dream..???
    Thanx
    TW

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you mean magically obtaining more power by running a wizard in Windows to link multiple workstations together, then no. Its not the kind of thing that makes a general PC experience better.

It is however possible to create a cluster of servers which appear is one contiguous unit at the front end to users, but it is a fairly abstract thing. It's a concept that gets put into use in certain environments where high availability is important, or the services provided by the cluster are a type which can be broken up and parallelized easily and efficiently.

So if your intent is to put it to server use, you might consider using Google for examples of unix systems clustering and parallelization. I know enterprise editions of Windows Server supports clustering of network file systems, print servers and several other services, as well.
    Last edited by rockinup1231; 09-28-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Thank you all for the quick response....
    I don't have the need or time but by reading the info you share I can now answer those who bring up this subject.......
    Have a great day !
    TW

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Your welcome.