Thread: Per user printer connection removal

Per user printer connection removal

For a while now, I have been trying to find a way to clear per user (as in, printers installed under a specific user profile) printer connections from all user profiles on numerous Windows 7 and XP systems on our network at work. Before I started working there, common practice for printer installations was to do it under the domain administrator profile, then when all the network and local printers needed are installed, among other things, the profile would be copied over the existing default profile, and users who log into that machine would get those printers.

I have managed to get us away from that (for now, using printui.dll to install networked printers globally on XP's, and using group policy for the Windows 7 workstations), thankfully. Unfortunately, we need to clean up all those stray per user printer installs, and short of having every user that uses each individual workstation log in so I can remove the printer, then clearing out the default profile of per user installed printers, I'm not seeing an efficient way to approach the cleanup. In most cases, it isn't really doable to nuke the user profiles with these installs due to the amount of extra work required for us to get the user situated again, and the hindrance it might be to their work.

Is it possible to remove per user installed printers (network and local) from a user profile without being logged in as that user, and using that profile?
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Not trying to be noisy by double posting. However, I still haven't found a solution. The closest I've come to an actual viable solution was using psexec as each user, but not knowing their passwords (and I don't want or need to know) puts a halt to that idea.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Sorry. Haven't worked on that type of situation in a while.

Do you have an OU login script? If so, you could add an entry to remove the printers.

Not sure if printui works for NT/2000/XP. I used con2prt, but you had to add the con2prt.exe to each workstation. Again, I used the login script to copy con2prt to the workstation first.
    http://ss64.com/nt/con2prt.html

I wish we used OU login scripts. We're taking baby steps in that direction, although it is uncertain when we will be where we should be. I was avoiding having to use GPO for this (its a scary, foreign subject some of my co-workers don't understand), but it looks like I'll have no choice.

I'll definitely keep con2prt in mind. Printui works on XP, too. But that would be an easier way to clean up everything later on.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rockinup1231; 09-10-2013 at 09:48 PM.