Thread: Location is not available

Location is not available

The title of the window reads- Location is not available. Inside the window it continues with a big red X and C:\Documents and Settings in not accessible. Access is denied. (I wish I could copy and paste from error messages) This is after trying to open that folder from windows explorer. I am signed on windows 7 as the admin, in fact there are no other profiles on this computer. And I am not able to save permission changes for this folder from the properties dialog box. How do I gain access to this folder? Thanks.
    I am trying not to make
    the same mistake twice, again.

Right after I posted that I closed the permissions dialog box and got several errors about setting security properly and that inconsistencies can occur if all the permissions in the folder have not been updated. (I really wish I could copy and paste this stuff). I had several go rounds with these dialog boxes until it finally allowed me to close it. Thanks again.

I was wrong, the dialog box went under explorer, now I cant close it at all.
    Last edited by adl6009; 09-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    I am trying not to make

Documents and Settings in Win7 is just a junction point, kinda like a shortcut. Win7 has the USERS folder now.

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

OK I see, thank you. I hope rebooting will get rid of that persistent error message.
    I am trying not to make

Quote Originally Posted by adl6009 View Post
    OK I see, thank you. I hope rebooting will get rid of that persistent error message.
    A reboot won't help. Its a design feature intended to support legacy software. However, if you use the new directory structure as that website suggests it should be okay.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)