Thread: All downloads blocked - says it contains a virus!

All downloads blocked - says it contains a virus!

My sister's laptop has a problem where when she tries to open a Hotmail attachment it says it contains a virus. She doesn't have any anti-virus software and since we both are Comcast customers I decided to get the Norton package they provide. When I tried to download it I also received a message saying it contains a virus and was deleted! It had the red shield with a white X so I started looking around. I checked her Windows Firewall and when I try to do anything with it (turn off or on, change settings), a window pops up saying "Windows firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code ox8007042. I did some Google searches on this but see all kinds of info, but not sure which one I want to follow. Looking if there is a fairly straight forward & current procedure to deal with this.

The specifics are:

Toshiba Satellite L755

Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

I.E. 10.0.9200.16660CO

Any guidance appreciated, thanks.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Go to VDR, register and follow all instruction at
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...d-4-28-2013%29

Acting like you do have a nasty and Broni is great at digging them things out.

Thanks Train. I do have a Malewarebytes log, but will run it again. Interestingly enough, the laptop allowed me to download updates to it. I doubt I'll be able to download DDS. If I cannot, I'll get it from my PC to a thumb drive & then install or run it from there.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Use another computer, or try using Safe Mode with Networking.

I'll get it from my PC to a thumb drive & then install or run it from there
    Watch it some of those programs need to be run from the desktop.

Oh, It worked installing them from a thumb drive & I posted the info at VDR (must be getting old, I was registered there already). Some interesting twists. I had loaded Chrome on her laptop some time ago & I could download the Norton stuff using that. Sure sounds like the issue is related to IE and/or Windows Firewall. I am going to set her up on the Live Mail application, she currently uses Outlook.com. I'm betting that through Live Mail she will be able to get attachments downloaded, at least as a work around for now.

Thanks for the help.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Read your post at vdr.

I guessed right, as much as I hate to say that.
    Do not install anything Broni does not tell you to.
    May take several days, depending on the amount of time you spend and he can too.

US Firefox myself and have for several years. Yes, gave up on IE.

Will do, thanks