Thread: No Power to the Motherboard

Unhappy No Power to the Motherboard

I will admit it's been ages since I had to get inside my PC, but I am totally confused. The power switch on the case went bad, so I bought a new case. I transferred everything over to the new case and have connected the HD, and power connectors to the MB. I turn on the switch on the back of the case and the MB LED does not come on. I rechecked that the power connectors are on tight (both the 24pin & 4 Pin from the PS). My mind says the 4 pin connector was not used in the old case so I pulled it off, but no change. Nothing new has been added to this, it's just everything from the old case.

I wanted to know if my logic is correct on the power supply. If I just plug it into AC with no MB connections and turn the PS switch on, shouldn't I see voltage at the 4 pin connectors? Or if I connected a fan, shouldn't it start up? I'm figuring this would tell me if I need a new PS, though I'm confused that moving it to new case killed it.

Looking for any ideas on what to look at next if my assumption above is incorrect.

The MB is an old ASUS M4A785-M, though I want to think that is not the problem.

Thanks.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Well, I'm pretty sure it is the PS. I found a video on You Tube explaining to short the green wire to ground on the 24 pin connector to test the PS. I had the proper voltage everywhere & fans I had connected were spinning. I then connected the MB, the LED comes on, and if I press the on button on the case the fans start up. However, in both cases the fan in the PC does not spin. It seems a tad tight trying to spin it. I believe I will get a new PS tomorrow, don't really want to trust this one too much and am not going to open it in hopes of getting a fan working.
    Strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a form of government.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Maybe putting out the voltage, but not enough amps!
    A lot of us has seen that.

The new ps is a very good idea to try.

Thanks Train - testing the PS a few more times showed it was intermittent on whether it worked or not, so no sense trusting it for another . Installed a new one & all is fine.

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Good news indeed! Thanks for letting us know.