Thread: Distance issue?

Distance issue?

Hi ALL,

I am in the process of networking from a home to a business premises. I have run an external grade cat 5e cable from the home to the business yard, a distance of 60 metres. I have checked the cable connections with a tester and all is well.

In the home the internet is via a DSL wifi modem. This is connected to another wifi modem in the house via the LAN side and from the LAN side of this wifi modem to the new 60 metre cable. On the yard side I have connected to another wifi modem to the cable.

The main DSL wifi modem manages DHCP and DHCP is disabled on all other routers. The DSL router gateway is 192.168.1.254/24 and I have assigned fixed IP addresses to each other router as 192.168.0.1/24 (in the house) and 192.168.0.2/24 in the yard.

I have assigned channel 1 to the DSL router, 6 to the other house router and 11 to the yard router. I have the same SSID and security key on all routers.

My problem is that from the yard I can connect via wifi to the yard modem but cannot ping back across the LAN. It seems as if the yard modem is not connected to the house modem. Could this be a signal strength issue? Does a wifi modem to wifi modem connection require a crossover cable?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

In the home the internet is via a DSL wifi modem. This is connected to another wifi modem in the house via the LAN side and from the LAN side of this wifi modem to the new 60 metre cable. On the yard side I have connected to another wifi modem to the cable.
    Why do you have so many modems? Do you mean wifi routers or access points? Later in the thread I see routers, so I'm guessing this is a typo.

192.168.1.254/24 and I have assigned fixed IP addresses to each other router as 192.168.0.1/24 (in the house) and 192.168.0.2/24 in the yard
    All routers/APs need to be in the same subnet. You can't use 192.168.0.x for the remote routers if the main router is using 192.168.1.x. You didn't state the DHCP pool addresses. Make sure to set the routers/APs with an IP within the same subnet but outside the DHCP pool.

For more info about settings routers as APs:
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Use one modem,one router, then switches.

Hi Midknyte.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for more than one typo. All are on the same subnet (92.168.0.0/24) The dhcp pool address starts at .30 to .253. All the AP's are fixed Ip addresses. All the devices are standard combined modem/router/switch/Ap units. on the second house unit I am using the lan side and wifi and the same with the yard unit. The devices I am using are Belkin Wireless G router F5d7234-4-h V5, Zonet ZSR1124WE wireless router and the DSL modem is a Zyxel P-660HW-T1 V3.

Regards,

Michael

Uh ok. Still a little muddy.

So the primary router is at 192.168.0.254, and the other two are on 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2?

All the devices are standard combined modem/router/switch/Ap units.
    Only the Zyxel appears to be a modem. The other two are router/switch/WAPs.

60M should be fine. Ethernet will ideally go to 100M.

Does a wifi modem to wifi modem connection require a crossover cable?
    On a regular switch to switch connection, you would need a crossover cable unless there is an uplink port.
    On the Belkin and Zonet, you should only be using the switch ports; NOT the WAN port.

Hi Midknyte,

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking now that it's probably a crossover cable that is needed. I won't get a chance to try ir for a week or two so I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the assistance.

Michael

Make sure to work on one section at a time. I'd probably work on the "House" side first.

Like I mentioned, you can either use a crossover OR an uplink port. Check your routers to see if they have uplink ports.