Thread: Toshiba Satellite C665D-S5139 memory issue

Hybrid View

Ultimate Member

Toshiba Satellite C665D-S5139 memory issue

I am working on my wife's Toshiba Satellite C665D-S5139. It has 2, 2GB memory chips installed for a total of 4GB. The System info tells me it is a 64-bit system. However, System memory is listed at 3GB with 2.5GB usable. I suspect the video is using some.

The Toshiba specs for this computer say it is capable of 8GB. I suspect the BIOS is a 32-bit BIOS so that causes the memory restrictions. (Wht then does the system say it is a 64-bit system?) I have looked for a 64-bit BIOS for this computer but cannot find one, not even on the Toshiba site.

Am I on the right track?? If so, is the 64-bit BIOS available somewhere?? Could this be a marketing restriction?

It's not a 32-bit BIOS if the motherboard is 8GB capable.

Check for a "memory remapping" setting in the bios.
    For a 64-bit OS with 3GB+ of RAM, it should be ON or ENABLED.

Also check that /MAXMEM is unchecked in msconfig

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the feedback. /MAXMEM is unchecked and I could find no reference to "memory remapping" setting in the bios. Is there a different way to set the BIOS than just the F2 key at start-up??

Lifetime Friend of Staff

Ultimate Member
    Thank you again for your advice. I am embarrassed. I sort of got a case of the "stupids". Nothing seemed right after trying every suggestion so I went back to the basics. I again pulled the memory chips and reinspected them. There was a 2GB and a 1GB chip, NOT 2, 2GB chips as I first reported. This is the first time I have ever seen two unequal chips coming from the factory. Anyway, that was the answer. Sorry to waste your time.

JMHCS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Not really a waste of time as I needed the reminder about the miss matched ram sizes being used also.
    That maybe link may work on my A505D-S6958 antique.