Thread: New Speakers.. no 5.1 sound in windows 7

New Speakers.. no 5.1 sound in windows 7

First off i do have all the jcks connected to the right places from bass woofer connector stations to my thrre conector Via audio jacks on my motherboard. I also have the right connections from all speaker jacks to woofer box station. Check!

Been going into the Via audio deck and setting and checking all tht is in there and also the Wndows 7 sound properties to make sure i got it playi9ng 5.1 audio. Upon the tests the speakers made the sounds for that ,but in both cases using the Via Audio deck and also Windows 7 sound properites for speakers I don't get the proper bass sound and the midle speaker is very faint.

When i play music or other, the right and left speaker and subwoofer work fine,hence i get 2.1 audio only. I have gone online to see if i could ifnd clues or answers but only one fit which said to click the "fill" box and i did that for both via and Windows 7 sound enhancements.

I am now at a pure loss. I am beginning to wonder if i got a bogus new set order,but upon the test. the rear speakers make a nice crisp sound. Woofer nodda. Somewhere something is messed up. I'm thinking thast for some reason Windows 7 is not producing the proper 5.1 upon setting it up for that. Any config i use only I get 2.1 only.

I previously had the Logitech 540 5.1 system and tht worked fine. Had to get a new system due ot my remote controller jack got damaged,which made the whole of it useless.

Love the quality and sound that it does produe thus far. I am not paying for a 2.1 system though.

Goes anyone know anyhting i may be missing here? it should not be this hard to do. I've hd like two other 5.1 and 7.1 systems and no issues with those. Current speakers are the Logitech 504 5.1 system.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    Did you go into into the audio management program and select the right output?

I got them to use 5.1 ( all speakers ) in most of the games i've played. I know they work but its just quirky. I read online about somebody else having these issues with this set of speakers. The sound is very good. Better thn my last pair of Logitech 540's. These have a small tweeter on each speaker. If i reboot sometimes it reverts back to 2.1 but i normally check on before launching something.

My biggest issue is for some reason, I am only able to receive 2.1 or desktop only uisng the media player. I searched the Media Player controls and found nothing to change that. My other speakers played 5.1 all the time. No issues. Oh well, at least i know they work right in most games. Music is very important to me so i hope to clear this up eventually.

I am uisng onboard Via audio codec. It has been updated also. Although i think this sound is better then the realtek audio, the controls panel for it is hard to,although it is a nice panel with eveything there.

I am wondering if downloading some program like i read online ( Dolby surround ) that might fix some things.
    Last edited by Rabbitrunner51; 12-10-2012 at 11:44 PM.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    If one set of speakers stay in 5.1 and the new set does not, I would get my money back.

If all the outputs tested correctly with the audio driver control panel, you probably have some mis-setting with your media player. It is probably only utilizing 2 channels, and the audio codec is simply trying to spread it across the outputs when in surround sound mode.

Make sure that isn't the case. Make sure your media you are testing with truly is 6 channel (5.1 compatible) as to eliminate any possibility of the issue being the source media.
    MSI 870S-G46 | AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.8ghz | Gigabyte Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition | 1 x 128GB Kingston HyperX SSD | 2 x WD 500GB Blue HDD | Arch Linux x64 | BFG Tech LS SERIES LS-550 550W | 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM, 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM (12 GB)

Thanks guys for the response, As stated, they do work fine in 5.1 sound in most all games, which is wht i need them for mostly but i also love music, and tried ot look at any settings in the media player to check on this but have not found it. If you know where that menu choice is let me kow and spell it out here.

One thing noticed earlier today is whenever i reboot the computer Windows 7 more often then not reverts back to default 2.1, which then i have to go into both Via control panel and Windows 7 and change to reflect 5.1 I have a feeling it is something to do with this Via audio and its control panel. Earlier i had to once again choose 'Fill' on the options for speakers and test then it worked fine. I just hate to have to manually check, and or change and test every so often to get it to work. That should not happen I think.

I know you guys answers are good enough about this topic. They do sound terrific though. I would not hesitate to recommend this product to others. I only paid like $77.00 or so for them and it is a bargain. I noticed my other ones are going for upwards of over $160.00 now. Previously i paid like under $100.00 for them.

Happy holidays. RR51

Lifetime Friend of Staff
    It is not in media player. Win 7 check control panel> Sounds
    Or R-click the speaker and select sounds or volume control options.
    Where I would check anyway.